alternator not charging-gctid820049

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alternator not charging-gctid820049

Thank you for reading my question and if it is in another thread, please direct me to where I could find it. The boat is a Bayliner 2650 Sunbridge with OMC cobra 1987. The alternator is not charging and the gauge is showing 10-11 volts even on step. I have brought the alternator to two specialized shop that tell me, after being bench tested, that the alternator is functioning correctly and to verify that the wires are not broken. I have performed the OMC trouble shooting procedure and, when I place a jumper wire between the POS lead and the LIGHT lead, the alternator is charging. Although it is part of the OMC manual, the techs told me to "never do that". So, my question is, could it be the ignition switch? Thanks for your time and expertise.

I think if alternator shops says it's working and your batteries are getting charged, you may have a faulty gauge. I have one that reads wrong all the time, I ignore it.

Comment

A quick check is to use a voltmeter directly on the battery. Check the voltage before starting, after starting at idle, and after starting above 1500-2000 RPM. If you see the appropriate voltage the problem could be the gauge or the connectors/wires going to the helm. Next check the voltages at the helm. You will see a bit of a drop from the battery, but not much. If you only get 10-11 volts at the helm then there's something amiss in the wiring or connectors.

If the voltage at the helm is good, then you may have a bad gauge or bad gauge connections. If the gauge has a molded plug in back, I suggest cutting it off, splicing ring terminals to the wires and using them, along with brass nuts to connect to the threaded posts on the gauge.
      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA

Comment

Thank you for the expertise. I will be testing it tomorrow and keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
        X