Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrical Help Needed-gctid819956

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Electrical Help Needed-gctid819956

    Good morning,

    All of my DC has stopped working, from bilge pumps to blower to accessories. The batteries are fine as both engines start up immediately. The charger seems to be doing its job when plugged into shore as it is showing 10A. 120V is fine but nothing to any DC system.

    I'm not happy with how the previous owner had things wired and will be spending time changing things, but this sudden failure of ALL DC is baffling. The only thing that appears to be getting power is a Propane Sensor, which started to let off a high-pitched noise. This goes off the second any DC device (radio for example) is turned on.

    The Bayliner manual says there is supposed to be a master circuit breaker "on the engine" (I have two, have looked and see nothing obvious).

    Currently have 2x12V in parallel plus 4 6V is Series/Parallel as the house bank.

    If anyone has any advice on where to look for the master circuit breaker as this makes the most sense to me given that everything DC is out, it is probably on the Negative line to ground close to the motor (or wherever final ground would be). Beyond that, when the time comes I will probably be seeking advice on wiring with switches as everything seems to be connected in parallel (no ACRs or Isolators either)

    Have asked others at the Marina and all are equally perplexed about the placement of the circuit breaker.

    Thanks in advance.
    Rob and Jeanne
    1989 Bayliner Avanti 2950
    Dual 302 OMC with Cobra Outdrives
    Delta, B.C. - Riverhouse Marina

    #2
    "Airxn" post=819956 wrote:
    Good morning,

    All of my DC has stopped working, from bilge pumps to blower to accessories. The batteries are fine as both engines start up immediately. The charger seems to be doing its job when plugged into shore as it is showing 10A. 120V is fine but nothing to any DC system.

    I'm not happy with how the previous owner had things wired and will be spending time changing things, but this sudden failure of ALL DC is baffling. The only thing that appears to be getting power is a Propane Sensor, which started to let off a high-pitched noise. This goes off the second any DC device (radio for example) is turned on.

    The Bayliner manual says there is supposed to be a master circuit breaker "on the engine" (I have two, have looked and see nothing obvious).

    Currently have 2x12V in parallel plus 4 6V is Series/Parallel as the house bank.

    If anyone has any advice on where to look for the master circuit breaker as this makes the most sense to me given that everything DC is out, it is probably on the Negative line to ground close to the motor (or wherever final ground would be). Beyond that, when the time comes I will probably be seeking advice on wiring with switches as everything seems to be connected in parallel (no ACRs or Isolators either)

    Have asked others at the Marina and all are equally perplexed about the placement of the circuit breaker.

    Thanks in advance.
    Couple of things to add:

    There is no propane on the boat so the sensor is responding to current rather than propane, which is surmise is why it goes of when another device is switched to on.

    The outdrives have power even when the engine is off, so both engines will start, the outdrives have power, but no DC instruments or accessories work.
    Rob and Jeanne
    1989 Bayliner Avanti 2950
    Dual 302 OMC with Cobra Outdrives
    Delta, B.C. - Riverhouse Marina

    Comment


      #3
      Don't know what boat you have details may be helpful. Your 12volt electrical issue is likely a bad negative connection, possibly under the helm area. Trim/tilt pumps are usually directly connected to the batteries, probably why they work.
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556
      Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

      Comment


        #4
        You really need to let us in on the big secret. What year, length and model boat do you have? I'm going to assume the Bayliner part unless you tell it's something else. That, and, where are you?
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        MMSI 367770440

        Comment


          #5
          I too think the issue is the negative connection either at engine or helm.

          The other possibility would be a fuse right at the house bank positive if so equipped.
          Jim McNeely
          New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
          Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
          Brighton, Michigan USA
          MMSI # 367393410

          Comment


            #6
            Sorry everyone. I have the boat details in my profile so thought they would show under my username.

            1989 Avanti 2950 Sunbridge with dual 302 OMC Cobra engines
            Rob and Jeanne
            1989 Bayliner Avanti 2950
            Dual 302 OMC with Cobra Outdrives
            Delta, B.C. - Riverhouse Marina

            Comment


              #7
              There are 2 fuse holders that pass thru a metal holder, they should have spring clips on them.

              Disconnect the battery before messing with them.

              Could be a blown fuse, or the contacts in the holder are dirty or bad.
              Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

              1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

              '86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

              Manalapan N.J

              Comment


                #8
                Any idea roughly where I'd find this/these?
                Rob and Jeanne
                1989 Bayliner Avanti 2950
                Dual 302 OMC with Cobra Outdrives
                Delta, B.C. - Riverhouse Marina

                Comment


                  #9
                  Radio shack ...

                  http://www.marineengine.com/newparts...num=OMC0982019
                  Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

                  1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

                  '86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

                  Manalapan N.J

                  Comment


                    #10
                    The fuses are located on top of the engine and integrated somewhat into the wiring harness. Here is a photo of a 4.3 L Cobra. I circled the fuse holders. One fuse is for the outdrive tilt/trim and the other one is for the rest of the engine electrical.

                    The fuse holders and wires get corroded with age. On my previous boat I replaced the main fuse with a circuit breaker, like the ones Volvo and Mercruiser use: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....SR294,320_.jpg


                    Attached files

                    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                    Anacortes, WA

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Just curious, did you mount the Circuit Breaker away from the engine or affix it somewhere near the original Fuse location? If it turns out to be a fuse rather than circuit breaker (the manual and an OMC repair manual I have for my year both state Circuit Breaker) I think I would replace original fuse with a CB.

                      Thanks again
                      Rob and Jeanne
                      1989 Bayliner Avanti 2950
                      Dual 302 OMC with Cobra Outdrives
                      Delta, B.C. - Riverhouse Marina

                      Comment


                        #12
                        "Airxn" post=820091 wrote:
                        Just curious, did you mount the Circuit Breaker away from the engine or affix it somewhere near the original Fuse location? If it turns out to be a fuse rather than circuit breaker (the manual and an OMC repair manual I have for my year both state Circuit Breaker) I think I would replace original fuse with a CB.

                        Thanks again
                        I made a bracket and attached it to the engine close to where the fuse holder was originally.
                        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                        Anacortes, WA

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Awesome. Thanks for your help.
                          Rob and Jeanne
                          1989 Bayliner Avanti 2950
                          Dual 302 OMC with Cobra Outdrives
                          Delta, B.C. - Riverhouse Marina

                          Comment


                            #14
                            "Airxn" post=819989 wrote:
                            Sorry everyone. I have the boat details in my profile so thought they would show under my username.

                            1989 Avanti 2950 Sunbridge with dual 302 OMC Cobra engines
                            You have to put them in you signature in your profile for them to show

                            Comment


                              #15
                              What can I say...i'm new.

                              Thanks
                              Rob and Jeanne
                              1989 Bayliner Avanti 2950
                              Dual 302 OMC with Cobra Outdrives
                              Delta, B.C. - Riverhouse Marina

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X