7.4l in 2002 2855-gctid819605

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7.4l in 2002 2855-gctid819605

I have an 02 2855 ciera with a 5.7mag. I have seen some same year boats with with 7.4's Does anyone know if the 7.4 was an option or if as a replacement a 7..4 can go in. Thanks

That's about the time they were switch over to small blocks being standard. You could swap out to a big block. Do you have a bravo 3 or 2. You are about 7200 lbs, and the 2858's are about 8500 lbs. I have heard complaints about a small block in those command bridge boats, but you might be in a sweet spot with performance and efficiency with your package. Are you not happy with it? with a 454 you will suffer fuel economy loss. plan on 16 to 20 gallons an hour.
    Brett & Elise, Sammy + Wilson
    New Addition - 2002 Trophy 2002WA FF Optimax 135
    GO HAWKS!

Comment

Just got a call from my marina and there is water in cylinders. While I know this can be caused by many issues but in a worse case scenario an engine replace. I wasn't thrilled with the 5.7 with 5 people it couldn't plane however that could have been a symptom of whatever is causing the water issue. If I need a replace I would like to go larger since I have a bravo so I am trying to find out what can be put in there. I see many options out such as the vortecs etc.. I was hoping the 7.4 would go in easy

Comment

The 383 small block would get the job done. 370 hp,

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...o-sterndrives/
        Brett & Elise, Sammy + Wilson
        New Addition - 2002 Trophy 2002WA FF Optimax 135
        GO HAWKS!

Comment

In the day the big block was the power house. However with today's technology the power and torque of a 350 small block or a 383 can reliably easily exceed that of the big block. Stock big block was 330 hp and 400 torque. Easy to get 350 hp and 450 torque from a 383.... 400 hp the 383 hasn't broke a sweat yet.

The weight increase of the big block makes the idea a non starter unless you want to go over 400 hp.

The small block has a weight savings of several 100 lbs or a couple of people in your boat.

So small block less weight same or more power less fuel burn and no new swap parts or modifications to the stringers or hull. Caveat build it correctly. No dished piston. Use vortec style or fast burn style heads. Use proper cam and intake no car or truck cam grinds. Center riser manifolds or better.

I have 2 big blocks in my 3450 Avanti just waiting for them to die and I have 2- 380 hp mostly aluminum small blocks just waiting to be installed.
          1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
          twin 454's
          MV Mar-Y-Sol
          1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
          Twin chevy 350's inboard
          Ben- Jamin
          spokane Washington

Comment

7.4 was available on older 2855s, Mercruiser stop using this engine back in 2001... more likely discontinued.

you can opt for 357 4V 325HP, 6.2 350HP, 8.2 430HP.
            Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
            Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
            93 3058 sold
            92 2855 (day boat)
            91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
            Longbranch WA
            Life is Good

Comment

I have friends with a 1999 2855 that came with the 7.4 MPI and a Bravo III. It was an option. It seems to be efficient in that set up, but there is no room at all in the engine room to work. If your current engine craps out, I would go small block.
              Johnson Point, Olympia, WA
              1989 2855
              Horizon 6.2 and Bravo II

Comment

There is no replacement for displacement. I passed on several boats because they were small blocks and I never heard anyone say boy I wish I had a smaller motor. A big block engine is built much stronger than a small block. Just my 2 cents worth.
                1988 Mainship 36 Sedan
                1995 2858
                1988 2655
                1987 2150
                Commercial/Industrial HVAC Service Tech.

Comment

I'd go 383. Like yatchman said all your external engine components will swap directly over and no modification to any of the mountings etc.
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  '93 2556
                  Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                  Misc. projects thread
                  https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

look to michigan motorz on the web ... see the small blocks, and big blocks and cost.

What drive do you have, bravo 2 is the strongest, and has the best reliability .
                    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

I Worked on outlaw sprint cars in the early 70's, I can't get over race car mentality, extra size and weight never a good thing. As far as small block Chevy durability with no balancer, no flywheel, no transmission, roller cam, and hillborn injection they will run 600 HP all day. 350 HP in a boat, no sweat!!!
                      2550 Cierra, AQ260 Volvo Penta (350 Chevy)
                      Laporte, CO

Comment

"RPrather" post=819636 wrote:
                        There is no replacement for displacement. I passed on several boats because they were small blocks and I never heard anyone say boy I wish I had a smaller motor. A big block engine is built much stronger than a small block. Just my 2 cents worth.
                        Respectfully, that's a very outdated concept. You very likely have a car in your garage that has a much smaller engine, and is faster and more reliable, than many mid range 1960s muscle cars.

Time does move on, as does technology.

I would rather have a 383 in a 2855. Similar power and torque curves, and over 100 lbs taken off the transom. It's a total no brainer.
                        Matt Train
                        BOC Site Team
                        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

If size does matter, my two cents is that its already pretty tight back there.

I know why all marinas hire a little, wiry kid!
                          Simo
                          2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain -> SOLD!
                          Downsized to a couple of kayaks for now.

Comment

Here is a link to a 383 engine swap on a boat ( going from a 454 to a 383 ). Kind of interesting. Shows what to expect.

http://www.boattest.com/oem/497/engines/30000120/3
                            twin 454's
                            MV Mar-Y-Sol
                            Twin chevy 350's inboard
                            Ben- Jamin
                            spokane Washington

Comment

"Download_Complete" post=819691 wrote:
                              "RPrather" post=819636 wrote:
                              Respectfully, that's a very outdated concept. You very likely have a car in your garage that has a much smaller engine, and is faster and more reliable, than many mid range 1960s muscle cars.

Time does move on, as does technology.

I would rather have a 383 in a 2855. Similar power and torque curves, and over 100 lbs taken off the transom. It's a total no brainer.
                              The big block is close to 300 lbs heavier or like 2 skinny adults or one big fat guy sitting.on your transom. Just a little.perspective.

In my case I have twins so just the swap wohld be 600lbs lighter. However i have aluminum heads aluminum exhaust and risers and aluminum intake. Taking off another 600 lbs between the twins..

That's around 1200lbs lighter on the boat oooorrr like 10 hot chicks. Let me see big blocks or 10 hot chicks big blocks or. Kind of Easy to decide.
                              twin 454's
                              MV Mar-Y-Sol
                              Twin chevy 350's inboard
                              Ben- Jamin
                              spokane Washington

Comment

Working...
                              X