Marine Radio Help-gctid819199

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marine Radio Help-gctid819199

The marine radio on my 1988 2455 is sending but not receiving. Our friends can hear us just fine but we get nothing back on our end. The radio has an external speaker. It makes no difference if this speaker is plugged in or not. We don't even get any static from it. The fuse is fine and I am at a loss as to repair. It was working fine a few weeks ago. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Bill and Janice
    Chatham, Ontario, Canada
    1988 2455 Ciera

I once owned a 88 2455 and it did not come with a VHF!

had to add it, How old is it?

May not be worth repairing unless it is fairly new!

They are not that pricey!

Try West Marine they have a good selection to do your research!

The ck online for the best price!

Don
    1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
    1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
    1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
    10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
    1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
    "Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Comment

I have had the boat for seven years now and replaced the radio and antenna 3 years ago. The radio is a Uniden brand I think. My concern is that it may be the antenna and not the radio. How can I test the radio and antenna to find the culprit?
      Bill and Janice
      Chatham, Ontario, Canada
      1988 2455 Ciera

Comment

If it can transmit over any distance at all it's probably not the antenna. It sounds like a speaker problem. You said you unplugged the speaker - does it happen to plug in using a standard plug that you could plug headphones in to? You might google the radio model number to see if it has an internal speaker. If it has an internal speaker neither the it nor the external speaker work it's probably the driver for the speaker, and may not be worth repairing.

If you can find a mom & pop public safety/radio shop or know any HAMs, they could troubleshoot it cost effectively for you.
        1985 Bayliner Ciera 2750
        300HP Volvo Penta 5.7 with DP-A drive

Comment

Have you tried adjusting the Squelch ?
          Jim McNeely
          New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
          Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
          Brighton, Michigan USA
          MMSI # 367393410

Comment

When I bought my Carver 2 years ago I had the same situation. The VHF that came with the boat could and did transmit but not receive. I plugged in an external speaker into the speaker slot still nothing. I assumed that something inside the VHF was faulty so I just went out and purchased a new VHF and shortly after that I bought and installed a new VHF antenna and now everything works fine.
            Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
            West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Comment

Recommend a couple inexpensive waterproof portables perhaps. .

Comment

I adjusted the squelch and it made no difference. The radio can transmit at least of couple of miles. It has an internal speaker as well. When disconnected it makes no difference. I have cleaned off both ends of the plugs for the speaker as well.
                Bill and Janice
                Chatham, Ontario, Canada
                1988 2455 Ciera

Comment

Working...
                X