Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone converted mechanical to electronic shift/throttle on an older boat?-gctid818688

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone converted mechanical to electronic shift/throttle on an older boat?-gctid818688

I'm planning to replace my throttle & shift controls, cables and all at some point in the next few months. Had everything all picked out and ready to buy, but it turns out I MAY have an opportunity to obtain Seastar electronic controls (i6800 series) at an attractive price. Anyone done this, or have a similar boat to mine that has it? I'm sure they are great when they work... my concern is failure, (even though there is a manual over-ride) so if anyone has any idea of reliability I guess that would be top of my list for comments.
    Tyson, Ackerley, Sidney & Gene
    Tsawwassen, BC
    1996 2858 Ciera Command Bridge
    Mercruiser 7.4L BRAVO II (GEN. V) GM 454 V-8; Engine Serial 0F603347
    "Island Passport"
    Home marina: Point Roberts, WA

Wow, you must be getting a deal. Looks like 3600 plus cables and some accessories, plus install.:silly:
    Brett & Elise, Sammy + Wilson
    New Addition - 2002 Trophy 2002WA FF Optimax 135
    GO HAWKS!

Comment

"aluxury1" post=818689 wrote:
      Wow, you must be getting a deal. Looks like 3600 plus cables and some accessories, plus install.:silly:
      Not sure how much of a deal yet, so we'll see. Planning to install myself though, doesn't seem particularly difficult. Easier pulling a wiring harness than new control cables B)
      Tsawwassen, BC
      "Island Passport"

Comment

I've had failure on the old fashion bullet proof cable shifters, and, the world didn't end. Modern electronics are pretty good. You'll have the usual people that couldn't afford it anyway pooh pooh your idea, just like those that laugh when people talk about a bow thruster on a 28 footer. If you can afford it go for it. I'm sure old timers were scared of power windows when they came out, and now you can't buy a car without them.
        Esteban
        Huntington Beach, California
        2018 Element 16
        Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
        Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Well to green650s' mention of not being able to afford it, actually has not a lot to do with it. If you want to add stuff to your boat and can afford it then you will do it. If you want to add stuff to your boat and can't afford it then you won't. Now the hard one: you want to add stuff to your boat and can afford it, but you realize adding 15,000 dollars of upgrades to a 20,000. dollar boat just doesn't make sense to you, you won't do it, and don't even think the boat will be worth 35,000 dollars. Used Electronics at best are worth 20-50 % of new cost. Also the fact is we all add so much weight to our boats its silly and a killer on performance, handling and efficiency. But knock yourself out on controls, for a DEAL, they would be pretty sweet.
          Brett & Elise, Sammy + Wilson
          New Addition - 2002 Trophy 2002WA FF Optimax 135
          GO HAWKS!

Comment

My boat is equipped with four stations all with Mather Controls. One Pilothouse, Flybridge and one Port/Stbd in cockpit.

I love them, wouldn't have anything else. I have used the original Bayliner separate throttle and shift controls, Morse combined controls and now the Mather electronic. Love the Mather's. No resistance at all, auto synchronizing, you can program different settings. Some of my friends have programmed them with a trolling function, that reduces the RPMs enough to bring the speed way down. I don't care for this as it loads up the engines terribly and that extra carbon is hard on the valves, injectors and rings. But to each his own. I am not a fishermen so don't care about trolling.

One distinct advantage to the electronic controls is you can mount one just about anywhere, as long as you can run the electrical to the location you are good to go.
            Patrick and Patti
            4588 Pilothouse 1991
            12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
            M/V "Paloma"
            MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Not sure about the SeaStar controls ,but like Pat I installed 4 Mathers controls a good 12vdc is required for proper operation ,you won't be sorry...and yes their will be nay sayers,installed ours about 15/18 yrs ago no problems ,you will need short cables from controll box to shifter/ throttle so get the best.and enjoy.
              Brad & Sharon
              Lady Jake
              1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
              LaConner,Wa. (summer)
              2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
              kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

"tdcooper99" post=818688 wrote:
                I'm planning to replace my throttle & shift controls, cables and all at some point in the next few months. Had everything all picked out and ready to buy, but it turns out I MAY have an opportunity to obtain Seastar electronic controls (i6800 series) at an attractive price. Anyone done this, or have a similar boat to mine that has it? I'm sure they are great when they work... my concern is failure, (even though there is a manual over-ride) so if anyone has any idea of reliability I guess that would be top of my list for comments.
                [color]blue wrote:
                At some point the electronic throttle/shift servo system takes it to cable. Although this is a short cable........, none-the-less, it's back to cable!

(see image below)

I would spend my money on a Morse Twin S throttle/Shift control, then replace the cables with new, and enjoy the larger portion of that $3,600 that would have otherwise been spent.[/color]

[attachment]39484 wrote:
                electronic throttle shift system.jpg[/attachment]

Attached files

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks all. It really does come down to how good a price I will get. I totally agree that some things simply are not worth adding to a $20,000 boat (how did you know thats exactly how much I paid :lol.

2850Bounty ... yes, I was aware that ultimately it's still mechanical control at the engine. As I said originally, I was all set to go with the new Twin S's + Xtreme cables... all for around $600 for 2 stations... so that is still on the cards, and honestly in all likelihood the way I will go.

I didn't want to say previously, but I suppose there is no harm. Turns out, unknown to me until recently, I have a pretty high up connection in Seastar Solutions Canada engineering. Only through a conversation the other week with my brother-in-law about hydraulic steering did I realise this.... my brother-in-law and this guy got their engineering degrees together and their first work placement post-degree was at Teleflex Canada. My brother-in-law moved on, but has remained friends with the guy. So he put me in touch, and I'm just waiting for a quote for the steering and controls. Unfortunately, Seastar Canada only deal with electronic controls... the mechanical side is handled through the US side, so if I go that way I'll be paying full price like everyone else... but at least it's not such an expensive upgrade.
                  Tsawwassen, BC
                  "Island Passport"

Comment

"brad4550" post=818740 wrote:
                    Not sure about the SeaStar controls ,but like Pat I installed 4 Mathers controls a good 12vdc is required for proper operation ,you won't be sorry...and yes their will be nay sayers,installed ours about 15/18 yrs ago no problems ,you will need short cables from controll box to shifter/ throttle so get the best.and enjoy.
                    Hey about the "Good 12vdc" requirement... I was actually wondering about that. As I add more stuff... electronics etc, I presume at some point I've got to consider the current draw against what my alternator can keep up with. Forgive the silly question... but is this something I need to look at now? Upgrading my alternator to make sure it can deal with whatever I am using while underway? Or am I likely to be ok with what I have. And don't ask me what I have :whistle: , but it will be whatever is bog standard for this engine/year I expect... certainly not in the high capacity category I'm sure.
                    Tsawwassen, BC
                    "Island Passport"

Comment

If you're truly getting a screaming deal by all means get the electronic controls. My previous boat was an '87 2858 with cables; had them replaced with cables and they still sucked. My current boat had Micro Commander controls installed by the PO; including a remote station on a tether for the cockpit. I'll never go back to cables. Quick, effortless, smooth shifting and throttle control is the way to go!
                      Drew Haas
                      1998 4788 "Painkiller"

Comment

Working...
                      X