Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guest Battery charger Drawing power OUT of the batteries when its unplugged???-gctid818676

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest Battery charger Drawing power OUT of the batteries when its unplugged???-gctid818676

I have a guest battery charger model 16102, and when its unplugged, it draws power out of my batteries... is this the way its suppose to work with these chargers?

all other chargers ive ever encountered, when they are unplugged, there is absolutely no power draw back to the charger...

NU LIBERTE'
    Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
    5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
    N2K equipped throughout..
    2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
    2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
    '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
    Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

No
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

How do you know its drawing power out of the batteries?
      2007 Bayliner 285 - Mercruiser 350 MAG Bravo III - "Always $umthing"
      Boston, Massachusetts

Comment

I had one onboard that did the same thing. Very small draw when unplugged. The manufacturer said it's normal, although I wasn't impressed.
        1996 2252 LS Capri Cuddy Cabin. Merc. 5.7L . Port Perry, Ontario, Canada.

Comment

after talking with Marinco tech support and understanding a bit more about how the guest "smart" charger works and what we should expect when troubleshooting (which is NOT in the manual), the guy (Dave) said when the charger is disconnected from the batteries, then reconnected, it WILL have a draw for about ten minutes, and it will eventually go away ... and although the charger does have a problem with not being able to be adjusted like it should be able to with the buttons, I think it may not be the basic problem... I found a solenoid that has the bakelite housing around the battery stud broken, and it seems the battery post was slightly pushed in and touching the contact bar inside the relay (but not enough to activate the circuit). when I pulled on the wire firmly it came apart... the draw dropped to about 20 milliamps, which is probably the memory in the stereo or some other electronic device., or an error in my meter...

so I cant blame the entire problem on the charger but Marinco said they would replace the unit under warranty due to the "adjustability" problem found with it.

NU LIBERTE'
          Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
          5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
          N2K equipped throughout..
          2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
          2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
          '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
          Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

"Centerline2" post=818676 wrote:
            I have a guest battery charger model 16102, and when its unplugged, it draws power out of my batteries... is this the way its suppose to work with these chargers?

all other chargers ive ever encountered, when they are unplugged, there is absolutely no power draw back to the charger...
            IMO the majority of chargers have a back feed draw on the batteries if left connected to them, and the mains supply is disconnected, I have even seen batteries drained to a state of no recovery if left like this for very long (many months) periods, its possible that they were not in the best condition, but it definitely killed them off.

I agree it should not be the case, but it is always safer to disconnect the batteries from the charger when the supply is off for long periods at a time.

Hope this helps.
            Current Boat: 2016 Bayliner VR6 4.5L 250
            Previous Boat: 2015 Bayliner 175 3.0L TKS 135

Comment

Working...
            X