finding a good mechanic-gctid398840

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finding a good mechanic-gctid398840

looking to see how i can find a good mechanic in my area. i have heard alot of people dont really know how to work on the volvo unit. is there a couple of key questions i can ask to really know that this person knows what he or she is doing. thanks

Eeeehhhhhh, what's your area? And did you have an actual question in your thread or are you just letting us know you are looking for a mechanic? Being military I run into this problem every time I move, and I usually ask a slew of local boaters for their input.

Comment

See the BOC Vault thread titled "Volvo Penta AQ series frequent Q's & A's" .......... or see either of Ryan's Volvo Penta threads in the Vault.

Volvo 4-Cylinder Info Archive

Volvo AQ Drive and PDS Bearing Info

If you can't find any threads specific to your issue, post back.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Oooops, I missed this part earlier!

stereogoro wrote:
        ........... are there a couple of key questions i can ask to really know that this person knows what he or she is doing. thanks
        Oh how PC that question is!

Yes, there certainly are some questions that I would suggest asking. You are very wise for asking.

You would be amazed at what I've seen and heard over the years re; the alleged "seasoned" and "qualified" mechanics.

However, it would get as involved to explain the questions, as it would to just explain how to do the work yourself, if you are mechanically inclined.

What is it that you are needing done?

Engine related work?

Out Drive related work?

Which model engine/drive?

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Three questions I generally ask to get an idea how well a mechanic knows Volvos is:

1) which service manual(s) do you use?

2) what gear oil do you prefer to use in the AQ series outdrives (270, 280, etc...)

3) how often do you change PDS bearings?

I get answers like:

We only have the Seloc repair manuals

We use Quicksilver gear lube in everything

What's a PDS bearing. We've never had to replace them. (or) It's $1600 to do that big job PDS bearing job.

Note that none of these answers impress me. They were all real answers from real professionals. Finding a good mechanic is difficult. I prefer to use myself, an OEM manual (plus others as supplements), and this forum.

Comment

Optimus wrote:
            Three questions I generally ask to get an idea how well a mechanic knows Volvos is:

1) which service manual(s) do you use?

2) what gear oil do you prefer to use in the AQ series outdrives (270, 280, etc...)

3) how often do you change PDS bearings?

I get answers like:

We only have the Seloc repair manuals

We use Quicksilver gear lube in everything

What's a PDS bearing. We've never had to replace them. (or) It's $1600 to do that big job PDS bearing job.
            Of course I'd get a bit more technical and verbose......, but those put a smile on my face!

If I posed the questions that I'd ask, they'd be onto me!
            • What do you do with the previous eccentric piston detend "spring pin" when you install a new piston seal? (this is a loaded one)
            • When replacing a main seal surface wear washer, do you need to recalculate and re-shim for the rolling torque value?
            • Is the main drive gear rolling torque calculated in Nm, inch pounds or stringline spring scale weight. (another loaded one)
            • Is the vertical shaft top nut RH or LH thread pitch?
            • Is there a max/min for the vertical shaft end play?
            • What is this A and B dimension all about?
            • What is the shim pack pre-load dimension for underneath the transmission driven gear bearing?
            • Do we use Volvo Penta's codes exclusively during certain shimming, or is there an alternate?
            • What is an angular contact bearing?
            • Does the OEM explain lapping in the sliding sleeve/gear cups?
            • Can you lap an all steel sliding sleeve?
            • Can the s/p prop shaft be replaced without the need to re-shim?
            • Can you re-seal a s/p or DP lower unit without the need to re-shim?
            • What is a heal or toe on a hypoid gear set, and where do we want the pattern to fall?
            • Can a PDS be removed without removing the engine?
            • Why the paper shim underneath the angular contact bearing?
            • Does it make a differnce with regard to transmission maintenance protocol re; RH -vs- LH or DP installation?
            • What is the difference between a Pre-"A" and an "A" transmission?
            • During which models did the driven gear bearings undergo outside diameter changes, and how many changes?
            • Crap.... I'm running out of questions!

These are only a few questions that could be asked, and are much more techincal than average Joe needs to be.

The problem is, when asked in this manner, you're going to get answers that have been influenced by the questions.

Unfortunately, you've got to take a back door approach if you want to learn about their level of AQ series drive experience.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
              Of course I'd get a bit more technical and verbose......, but those put a smile on my face!

If I posed the questions that I'd ask, they'd be onto me!
              • What do you do with the previous eccentric piston detend "spring pin" when you install a new piston seal? (this is a loaded one)
              • When replacing a main seal surface wear washer, do you need to recalculate and re-shim for the rolling torque value?
              • Is the main drive gear rolling torque calculated in Nm, inch pounds or stringline spring scale weight. (another loaded one)
              • Is the vertical shaft top nut RH or LH thread pitch?
              • Is there a max/min for the vertical shaft end play?
              • What is this A and B dimension all about?
              • What is the shim pack pre-load dimension for underneath the transmission driven gear bearing?
              • Do we use Volvo Penta's codes exclusively during certain shimming, or is there an alternate?
              • What is an angular contact bearing?
              • Does the OEM explain lapping in the sliding sleeve/gear cups?
              • Can you lap an all steel sliding sleeve?
              • Can the s/p prop shaft be replaced without the need to re-shim?
              • Can you re-seal a s/p or DP lower unit without the need to re-shim?
              • What is a heal or toe on a hypoid gear set, and where do we want the pattern to fall?
              • Can a PDS be removed without removing the engine?
              • Why the paper shim underneath the angular contact bearing?
              • Does it make a differnce with regard to transmission maintenance protocol re; RH -vs- LH or DP installation?
              • What is the difference between a Pre-"A" and an "A" transmission?
              • During which models did the driven gear bearings undergo outside diameter changes, and how many changes?
              • Crap.... I'm running out of questions!

These are only a few questions that could be asked, and are much more techincal than average Joe needs to be.

The problem is, when asked in this manner, you're going to get answers that have been influenced by the questions.

Unfortunately, you've got to take a back door approach if you want to learn about their level of AQ series drive experience.

No wonder I like Merc

Comment

check737 wrote:
                No wonder I like Merc
                Oh no... these are relatively simple compared to the Merc design.

Trust me..... I've worked on both!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                X