newbie w/ a cobra 2250-gctid398835

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie w/ a cobra 2250-gctid398835

Hi all New guy here from good ol lake st. clair in the great state of MI.. I Picked up an 88 bayliner cobra 2250 with the omc 350..pretty cool boat, quick and has a unique layout.. took it out a couple times so far and have had blast everytime, excepet this past sunday..this looks like a pretty well informed site and im hoping i can find some answers to my questions regarding this boat..this past sunday i had a problem with the boat not starting long story short after playing with it and getting home and playing with it some more i find that my problem lies with a wiring harness that goes across the top of the engine.. what i need to know is what all resides inside this harness and where it goes what it does etc...Im pretty handy and have been around cars and electronics so i know my way around circuits i just dont have time this week to trace the wires and spend the time to decipher where everything goes.. so i ask of you all to please help me .. thank you

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/702523=29528-photo (13) 2.jpg[/img]

svtnos wrote:

what i need to know is what all resides inside this harness and where it goes what it does etc...

Im pretty handy and have been around cars and electronics so i know my way around circuits
    No disrespect ..... but is this a serious question?

I'm asking honestly as you have one post only..... and we have spammers trying to get in all the time.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Well, Rick... you paid more attention to the question than I did.

...then again, maybe not.

Comment

I think that is the super genius connector.
        " WET EVER "
        1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
        mmsi 338108404
        mmsi 338124956
        "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

Unplug, clean the contacts as they will sometimes corrode with all the moisture, use dielectric greese on the connections and see if that solves the problem.

And if this is spam, I just wasted a minute of my life and if this is legit, welcome to BOC.
          Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
          1998 3055 Ciera
          (yes, a 1998)
          Previous boat: 1993 3055
          Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
          Sea Doo XP
          Sea Doo GTI SE
          Life is short. Boats are cool.
          The family that plays together stays together.
          Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Gilligan wrote:
            Well, Rick... you paid more attention to the question than I did.
            Well, it just caught me in that the answer would appear to be very obvious.

No offense to the OP!

OK..... I'll take it as a serious question.

The wiring within your red circle is your engine harness/hull harness interface.

This leads from the engine to the helm.

In this harness will be your engine data circuits (oil pressure and temperature), as well as ignition, starter motor solenoid circuit, helm Pos/Neg, etc.

The alternator charge lead will not be in this, and will be in the engine harness alone.

Ditto Phil on two accounts..... Welcome to the BOC, and yes, pull this connector apart, and examine the contacts.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

svtnos wrote:
              Hi all New guy here from good ol lake st. clair in the great state of MI.. I Picked up an 88 bayliner cobra 2250 with the omc 350..pretty cool boat, quick and has a unique layout.. took it out a couple times so far and have had blast everytime, excepet this past sunday..this looks like a pretty well informed site and im hoping i can find some answers to my questions regarding this boat..this past sunday i had a problem with the boat not starting long story short after playing with it and getting home and playing with it some more i find that my problem lies with a wiring harness that goes across the top of the engine.. what i need to know is what all resides inside this harness and where it goes what it does etc...Im pretty handy and have been around cars and electronics so i know my way around circuits i just dont have time this week to trace the wires and spend the time to decipher where everything goes.. so i ask of you all to please help me .. thank you

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]
              The 2250 Cobra is an awesome boat... congratulations and welcome!As many have mentioned, that connection is called a cannon plug and is responsible for "plugging in" most of the engine to the rest of the boat. Your first step will be to reference a color code chart to understand what colors mean what. For example, you didn't clarify "doesn't start" but if it doesn't turn over, it could be the yellow/red wire which is the starter circuit. The circuits in the cannon plug are:Black - ground (obvious!)Yellow/red - starterPurple - ignitionLight blue - oil pressure senderTan - water temperature senderGrey - tach signalRed/purple - Fused positive from batteryBrown/white - trim sender (though trim itself is on a separate connector)More symptoms are necessary for more assistance. Also, disconnecting, cleaning and reconnecting this plug, as well as ensuring the two halves are tightly together by a more aggressive method, can solve many issues.

Comment

Thank you for the responses that helps alot , and sorry no this is not spam .. Im dead serious,i havent had a lot of experience with boats but have owned alot of cars trucks and seadoos..

Comment

ishiboo wrote:
                  The 2250 Cobra is an awesome boat... congratulations and welcome!

As many have mentioned, that connection is called a cannon plug and is responsible for "plugging in" most of the engine to the rest of the boat. Your first step will be to reference a color code chart to understand what colors mean what. For example, you didn't clarify "doesn't start" but if it doesn't turn over, it could be the yellow/red wire which is the starter circuit. The circuits in the cannon plug are:

Black - ground (obvious!)

Yellow/red - starter

Purple - ignition

Light blue - oil pressure sender

Tan - water temperature sender

Grey - tach signal

Red/purple - Fused positive from battery

Brown/white - trim sender (though trim itself is on a separate connector)

More symptoms are necessary for more assistance. Also, disconnecting, cleaning and reconnecting this plug, as well as ensuring the two halves are tightly together by a more aggressive method, can solve many issues.
                  This is awesome thank you for the break down that helps a ton ..

Comment

There are a few more wires in there, 11 total I believe. I will get you the run-down on those later when I have time.

Comment

orca wrote:
                      There are a few more wires in there, 11 total I believe. I will get you the run-down on those later when I have time.
                      id appreciate that.. yea basically im just looking to know what wires do what..

i shook the harness and the boat started and all the gauges were working.. u bend the harness another way and everything goes dead.. its either a bad connection or a broken wire.. either or no big deal really just would like to know what wire does what..

Comment

PM sent, check your notifications.

Comment

orca wrote:
                          PM sent, check your notifications.
                          What were the other wires? My wiring diagram only showed the 8.

Comment

ishiboo wrote:
                            What were the other wires? My wiring diagram only showed the 8.
                            I passed on the wiring diagram to svtnos.

As usual, looks like I should have taken a closer look a few days ago. I looked at the connector earlier and counted (miscounted!) 11 pins. Turns out there are really only 10 pins, and 2 of them are not used (both labeled 54). So 8 is the right number after all, sorry about my confusion.

Looking closer at the diagram, the Purple you have listed as Ignition really goes to the S terminal on the Alternator, and originates at the A terminal of the ignition switch. But, maybe that is what you meant by ignition anyway.

Comment

Working...
                            X