Loud noise in outdrive now boat will not move-gctid818447

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loud noise in outdrive now boat will not move-gctid818447

So I decided to take my boat out for a long sea trial this weekend but it turned out bad. I started the boat at my dock and let it run for about 10 min to get it warmed up. Since it was on the lift I even put in in forward and let the propeller spin in the water for a while as well no problems. I back the boat out and get about 500 yards from the house and I hear a loud thump from the outdrive. The engine rpms climb but the boat is not moving. My first thought the propeller came off. I turn off the motor raise the outdrive the prop is still there. Turn ithe engine on, no forward, no reverse. Engine runs great, no power going to the outdrive. Anyone have any ideas what it could be.

I have a 1985 trophy, 3.0litre engine with an OMC outdrive. (Not Cobra)

That you heard a thump isn't good. There is a fair amount of monkey motion in all outdrives giving all sorts of possibilities. Are you sure it's shifting? It could be the cable or linkage broke and you can't get it out of neutral. Is it pumping water? If not, your problem is either in the connection to the drive or somewhere in the upper drive. Have you tried spinning the prop with the engine in gear? Sounds a bit crazy, but you may be able to feel resistance that would help you get a feel for resistance. If it spins freely, then it may be in the lower drive shaft.

Here's a parts schematic for the upper housing.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson...cfm?mdl=G6APKK It's just representative and the correct schematic should be on the Crowley site, so adjust accordingly. I've had good experiences dealing with them. Look at part number 35 and 47. You could have lost the splines inside 47 and/or on 35. My memory is weak, but I think I remember that as a weak point. Draining the unit and looking for anything other than oil will also help.

Let us know how it goes. We can help better if we had an idea where you live. For instance I live north of Seattle and boat from Olympia to the top of Vancouver Island.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

I did spin the prop and it moved freely, I also checked to make sure it was shifting and it seemed to be shifting. It almost seems like the connection between the motor and outdrive has been severed. Not sure if there are gears there or if the universal broke if it has one. I will have to bring it to the mechanic. thanks

Comment

I will be pulling the boat out of the water this weekend.

Does anyone have any advise on what to look for first? Some ideas on simple things to look for first like a broken cable, then the most serious ones like what to look for that will force me to replace the outboard. I know some of you guys have been in my shoes before.

Thanks

Comment

ball gear intermediate housing.

BTW you have a stringer.
          Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
          Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
          93 3058 sold
          92 2855 (day boat)
          91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
          Longbranch WA
          Life is Good

Comment

How hard is it to take out the outdrive stringer? Has anyone done that before?

Comment

So the mechanic finally had time to look at my stringer outdrive and a small shaft with a male spline on one end and a female spline on the other side did in fact disintegrate. The shaft is a mear $180, gasket set $200, ball gear $189, labor to rebuild it $1200.

So I am looking for a rebuilt upper stringer or a gently used one to purchase and swap out. I will do the work my self. Well try to at least. I have talked to a couple of guys that have done them and they say they look intimidating but they are pretty straight forward. Does anyone know if I can put a cobra or electric shift outdrive on a 3.0 litre motor? I have seen some of those around pretty cheap.

Comment

Working...
              X