Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercury propeller movement

Hello all,

I recently purchased the Element E18 with the 115 Mercury 4 stroke. I just replaced the factory Black Max propeller with a 4 Blade Spitfire from Mercury. The factory propeller had the flo torq II hub kit and that is what came with the spitfire. After installation, there is very slight movement of the prop on the shaft. Is this normal? I torqued it to proper specs and all components are installed correctly. I have read that slight movement is normal, but also that is shouldn't move. I haven't taken it out on the water yet, but plan to soon and I will report back on the performance.

[li][/li]
    2017 Bayliner E18 with Mercury 115 four stroke. boating on local lakes, in mostly calm waters.

Just got off the phone with Mercury and they said a small amount of movement is normal for the spitfire and is there to help reduce noise rattle. That was straight from a Mercury tech just FYI for anyone doing a future prop change
    2017 Bayliner E18 with Mercury 115 four stroke. boating on local lakes, in mostly calm waters.

Comment

Took the boat out on the lake yesterday, and I have to say this Spitfire propeller is the real deal!. My Element is faster out of the hole, and I still top out at around 42mph. The biggest improvement is the ride of my Element. Much smoother in mild chop. I'm guessing the 4 blade changed the boat's position in the water, because it takes waves and rough water much better. I bought the aluminum to see if I would like it, but will be upgrading to the stainless version soon. Bayliner and Mercury should get together and make this a factory installed prop for the M hull lineup.

Comment

• BradH
        BradH commented
        Editing a comment
        Brunswick Corp owns both Bayliner and Mercury Marine, so using the Spitfire prop shouldn’t be an issue. My E18 with a Mercury 115 Pro XS came with an aluminum Spitfire 13.5 x 15 pitch. I might be pushing the limit of keeping it in the power band, but I just purchased a Spitfire X7 stainless 13 x 17 pitch prop. Hoping the .5 inch reduced diameter will be enough to help offset the reduction of RPM due to the two inch increase in pitch. I think I’m also going to have the engine raised a hole to reduce drag. Anyone else out there tried running a 13 x 17 Spitfire X7 on their element with a 115 Merc and the standard gear ratio?

"Kfields2012" post=819729 wrote:
      Took the boat out on the lake yesterday, and I have to say this Spitfire propeller is the real deal!. My Element is faster out of the hole, and I still top out at around 42mph. The biggest improvement is the ride of my Element. Much smoother in mild chop. I'm guessing the 4 blade changed the boat's position in the water, because it takes waves and rough water much better. I bought the aluminum to see if I would like it, but will be upgrading to the stainless version soon. Bayliner and Mercury should get together and make this a factory installed prop for the M hull lineup.
      ^5! Love it when a plan comes together!
      "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
      MMSI: 367637220
      HAM: KE7TTR
      TDI tech diver
      BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
      Kevin

Comment

I see this is an old post, but has a recent comment. BradH never updated on the Spitfire X7 stainless 13 X 17 prop he bought.
        I find it odd both the boats mentioned came with the 15 P prop. Mine has the Black Max 3 blade 13.25 X 17 P. Tops out at 40 on GPS with 4 people but just installed the tack so I can find out my RPM's this weekend. I also have the Merc 115 XS.
        I just received my new
        Spitfire X7 stainless 13 X 17 today, but reading that others E18's came with 15 P makes me a bit worried I'm not hitting really high RPM's now and the new prop will make it worse. Granted, Mercury says if your current 3 blade is hitting the desired PRM's then you don't need to drop pitch. Since my 13.25 X 17 P came with the boat I just assumed it was, but now I'm worried. Guess I may have a discounted, hardly used Spitfire X7 for sale soon.
        I'll update this once I have solid numbers on the current and new prop.
        The main reason I got the X7 was to try and reduce ventilation while turning pulling tubes and wakeboards.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinFelce View Post
          I see this is an old post, but has a recent comment. BradH never updated on the Spitfire X7 stainless 13 X 17 prop he bought.
          I find it odd both the boats mentioned came with the 15 P prop. Mine has the Black Max 3 blade 13.25 X 17 P. Tops out at 40 on GPS with 4 people but just installed the tack so I can find out my RPM's this weekend. I also have the Merc 115 XS.
          I just received my new
          Spitfire X7 stainless 13 X 17 today, but reading that others E18's came with 15 P makes me a bit worried I'm not hitting really high RPM's now and the new prop will make it worse. Granted, Mercury says if your current 3 blade is hitting the desired PRM's then you don't need to drop pitch. Since my 13.25 X 17 P came with the boat I just assumed it was, but now I'm worried. Guess I may have a discounted, hardly used Spitfire X7 for sale soon.
          I'll update this once I have solid numbers on the current and new prop.
          The main reason I got the X7 was to try and reduce ventilation while turning pulling tubes and wakeboards.

You have raised some valid issues. Having a tachometer will definitely give you solid data you need in order to reach a conclusion.
          If you have time to fiddle around with it, provide both the 15P rpm's and the 17P rpm's.
          I see that your engine has a 5300-6300 WOT rpm range. That certainly is a wide range.
          Good luck and enjoy your weekend!
          Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
          Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

I ran good test yesterday with the original 17P Black Max. 2 people in the boat, under 400 pounds total, smooth lake and zero wind. Got it trimmed out at 5500 RPM's and 41 MPH was all I could get.
            Later in the day with water getting a bit choppy I tried again with 6 people and barely got over 5000 RPMs.
            Since my 115 XS max RPM is 6300, I'm guessing I should step down to the 15P?

Comment

Originally posted by JustinFelce View Post
              I ran good test yesterday with the original 17P Black Max. 2 people in the boat, under 400 pounds total, smooth lake and zero wind. Got it trimmed out at 5500 RPM's and 41 MPH was all I could get.
              Later in the day with water getting a bit choppy I tried again with 6 people and barely got over 5000 RPMs.
              Since my 115 XS max RPM is 6300, I'm guessing I should step down to the 15P?
              Yes, that 5500 rpm's under ideal conditions seems to be a little bit low if you are trying to eek out that last bit of power and speed.
              A 15P sounds like a reasonable next step.
              Remember that if you stick with the 15P your gas usage will increase a bit.

Comment

Thanks for the input, I didn't get the optional 6 gal tank on my boat, but even with a full day out tubing I've never used more than 9 of the 12 it holds as-is.
                I'm going exchange the 17P for the 15P, just a lose of return shipping for me.
                I don't plan on hitting WOT very often. The main purpose of the Spitfire is to help address the ventilation issues these E18's seem to have. I was very happen with performance aside from that, but this should help with overall performance.
                I think it's safe to say this boat/motor combo was over propped from the dealer and at least with the Black Max and Spitfire props the 17P is just too steep.

Comment

Originally posted by Kfields2012 View Post
                  Are you still happy with the change in prop ? I am looking at up dating to get a better hole shot. I have an Element XL with 115 Merc. Have been dragging the kids around on tubes previously but they are now ready to ski / wake board.

Look forward to your comments.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Alby View Post

Are you still happy with the change in prop ? I am looking at up dating to get a better hole shot. I have an Element XL with 115 Merc. Have been dragging the kids around on tubes previously but they are now ready to ski / wake board.

Look forward to your comments.

Cheers.
                    Welcome to BOC!
                    Hopefully an Element XL owner will join the conversation here but odds would be better if you started your own thread ............maybe try a title like "Element XL prop choices?"

Comment

Element XL prop choices?

I bought my boat with the original factory black prop. I am looking at updating to get a better hole shot. I have an Element XL with 115 Merc. Have been dragging the kids around on tubes previously but they are now ready to ski / wakeboard.

Mostly lake locations with not much chop
                      Look forward to your comments/advice.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by vr5200 View Post

Welcome to BOC!
                        Hopefully an Element XL owner will join the conversation here but odds would be better if you started your own thread ............maybe try a title like "Element XL prop choices?"
                        Op did....you can find it directly below your suggestion👍
                        Lake Hartwell, GA
                        2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                        1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                        1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
                        1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                        1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                        1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                        1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
                        1996 SeaDoo GTX
                        1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

Gents, let's at least wipe the cobwebs off of these old threads before posting to one!

Click image for larger version  Name:	cobwebs on old threads.png Views:	3 Size:	44.9 KB ID:	598750
                          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                          X