Gauges do not work-gctid818303

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauges do not work-gctid818303

Hi - we just bought a 2001 Bayliner 160 Bowrider and the guages do not work - we're told they never did but it never mattered to the previous owner because the boat worked and ran great. AND IT DOES - we took it out yesterday it sat for an entire year plus 3 months and started right up. In searching for answers on google I typed in my question and noticed that there were many owners asking the same exact question I was which led me to this site and why I signed up to become a member.

The horn, the anchor, the bilge, the ignition lights do not go on. The horn itself does not work, the fuel gauge doen't work - the speedometer doesn't work (but my husband knows what the issue is there) Nothing on the dash works - except for the ignition key - WHY? Does anyone know the answer to that and what we need to do to correct it. We have looked at the wiring and nothing seems corroded or out of whack. -

same IGNITION 12VDC(+) power feeds those gauges...Purple 14 AWG wire 12VDC(+) unplugged from the ignition "I" terminal or 14AWG black ground wire (-) unplugged possibly.

break out the multi meter, measure back of the gauges with the ignition switch ON.
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

Welcome to the BOC and congrats on your new to you boat. It's odd to me that the ignition works but the gauges don't. It sounds like the panel positive wire has lost power. I'd start with the pigtail connection at the engine. It's the big cable plug that connects the instruments with the motor. There will be a red button near the connection point and it should have a hose clamp around the rubber housing. I would unplug the connector then use a multimeter to check to see that they are connected to the engine. If all that checks out, I'd use dielectric grease in the connection to cut down the chances of corrosion. If all that checks out, it's time to look at the wiring schematic for your engine. Most of those are available in the lookup section on sites like Crowley.com.

Please add your boat and power information as well as your general location and where you use your boat to your signature. You never know, we might be neighbors.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

PANEL(dash) positive wire splices from the IGNITION switched power(PURPLE) under the dash...
        Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
        Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
        93 3058 sold
        92 2855 (day boat)
        91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
        Longbranch WA
        Life is Good

Comment

Working...
        X