Cold starting Mercruiser 350 carbed-gctid818174

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold starting Mercruiser 350 carbed-gctid818174

Struggle to start this motor every time it sits for more than a week, I know it has electric fuel pump, and believe electric choke, so assume i do not have to advance throttle full to set choke, but this thing is a pain to start cold. I usually turn on key, move throttle to about 1/3 and crank................and crank, and crank, (getting the point). Then if I mess with the throttle any more (pump once), seems like it floods. Then need full open throttle to get air into carb and hopefully finally start.

Any one else with this rig have suggestions.

Miss my old 350 mag injected.....turn key, start!!

Try this:

One full pump of the throttle all the way forward and back to idle possition. Then advance the throttle just a bit beond idle, somewhere where you think it may run at 1500-1800 rpm or so. Then hit the key. If it does start be prepared to back off on the throttle just enough that she's not running at to high of an rpm. I try to keep it around 1500-1800 during this warm up period. After a bit the rpm will likely increase as the engine warms and you can continue to bump the throttle back keeping it at around the 1500-1700 rpm range till she's closer to operating temp.

With all that said, you may need to adjust the electric choke setting and as Rick has pointed out you could have a leaky float bowl issue.

What type of carb do you have? Q jet?
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

2004 Mercarb most likely...
      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
      93 3058 sold
      92 2855 (day boat)
      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
      Longbranch WA
      Life is Good

Comment

I read this post this morning comparing trodes problems to mine having mechanical chokes and fuel pumps. If I go without starting for a few days I have the same problem.

Any suggestions?
        Dan
        Frostbite Falls, Minnesota
        Claudia V. III
        1988 - 3218
        Gas Drives

Comment

I found out that hard starting in my boat was due to corrosion in the distributor cap. Once I cleaned off the corrosion the boat started right away.

Joe
          1986 2850 Commend Bridge on hydrohoist
          A260 and AQ280 with DP lower unit

Comment

new cap, spark sensor, wires, plugs, fuel pump, coil in last 3 months

This thing is eating me alive!

Comment

Carb needs to be rebuilt sounds like...

My twin Edelbrock 1409 will start easily even after sitting more than a few weeks.
              Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
              Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
              93 3058 sold
              92 2855 (day boat)
              91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
              Longbranch WA
              Life is Good

Comment

I recently installed electronic ignition on both motors....spendy but well worth it starting and performance wise, its just when it sits for a few days it can be a chore.

I just got back from reading my owners manual on start up and will change my starting procedures a little.
                Dan
                Claudia V. III
                1988 - 3218
                Gas Drives

Comment

Follow up

So we head to the boat last night, been in rack for a week, pump throttle full one time and then advance to about 1/4 throttle......hit key, and starts instantly like it had been running all day! GO FIGURE

I'll call it the "builderdudes" method

Comment

Good to hear trode. I'm still learning the science of starting my own carbureted boat, even after it's been running all day if I sit for more tha 30 minutes to an hour I'll advance the throttle just a touch without any pumping before I hit the key. Seems everybody has their own method for startup procedure B)
                    Dave
                    Edmonds, WA
                    "THE FIX"
                    '93 2556
                    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                    Misc. projects thread
                    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Well you can tell the age of a boater by how fast they figure this out. If you are close to or over 60 then you grew up with carbed cars and know that:

Each on is a bit different

They all need some "finessing" or modification in technique

and:

Some marine auto chokes require that you advsnce the thrittle fully at least once to allow the choke plate to close or at least nearly close.

Also as a part of the annual tune up the choke valve and shaft should be cleaned with carb cleaner or else it can stick.

On mine I usually give it 3 pumps fully forward and then advance the throttle fwd 1/3. Then crank over it will usually start after 1 or 2 tries .

I had 5 cars with carbs over the years and have 9 small engines at present 4 two strokes and five four strokes. All I can start pretty easily.
                      88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
                      98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
                      07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Before we dig to deep, when is the last time your cleaned your flame arrestor?

I have the same engines. I give mine one full pump of the throttle then set about 1/4 throttle. Mine will start within 2-4 seconds of cranking and produce about 1500RPM's when first started.
                        Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                        1998 3055 Ciera
                        (yes, a 1998)
                        Previous boat: 1993 3055
                        Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                        Sea Doo XP
                        Sea Doo GTI SE
                        Life is short. Boats are cool.
                        The family that plays together stays together.
                        Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

I'm so old I was thinking about running a couple choke cables into the salon. I never had a issue starting that one lunger john deere tractor we had on the farm.
                          Dan
                          Claudia V. III
                          1988 - 3218
                          Gas Drives

Comment

I just move each throttle to full then back to idle position. Turn each key for a few seconds and she purrs like a kitten. 2 or three throttle pumps if over 2 weeks without running. My carbs now 10 years old and never touched in any way. Griff.

Comment

Working...
                            X