I/O NEVER AGAIN!-gctid818173

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I/O NEVER AGAIN!-gctid818173

I have had it with I/O's, and next rig will be either straight inboards or outboards. I am on my third, and most trouble plagued I/O boat. Have mercruiser 350 with Bravo II. This rig has be trouble since I got it, bad....sensors, fuel pumps, trim motors, coil, ignition sensor, solenoid, etc, etc.... Have had more repairs on this than all other boats (4) combined. This has only 245 hours and is dry stored, not sure if this was a bad year, model or lemon. Still after several repair trips this year, have a momentary rpm drop when heading out every time, slows down 200-300 rpm and then picks back up and never repeats rest of day. Inconsistent when it occurs, sometime 25 minutes out, sometimes 30. Just have no faith in this thing, want to do some 80 - 120 mile trips but worried about boat the whole time.

Should have kept my 288!! But then again that Bravo III.................

I feel your pain - I lost an entire summer a couple and thousands of dollars years ago trying to get an alpha outdrive to stop leaking gear fluid, now I'm buying a new Bravo3 after something (we're not sure what yet) broke and screwed the whole thing up.
    1998 Bayliner 2858
    7.4L MPI / Bravo III
    Harbour Village Marina - Kenmore WA

Comment

A couple of Yamaha 250's would look sweet on that 288!
      Brett & Elise, Sammy + Wilson
      New Addition - 2002 Trophy 2002WA FF Optimax 135
      GO HAWKS!

Comment

That would be fugly...

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...version#786212
        Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
        Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
        93 3058 sold
        92 2855 (day boat)
        91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
        Longbranch WA
        Life is Good

Comment

I had a 5.7 with Bravo ll. Drive was good but niggling engine issues. Was glad to see the taillights leave the driveway.
          "Martini's Law"
          1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
          Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

ironic part is I had a 5.0 with alpha set up on my first BL and it was virtually trouble free, this 5.7 is a nightmare. Silly I know since virtually the same engine, but....

Comment

Some mechanics here like to call I/Os "double trouble" lol....
              88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
              98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
              07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Every setup has its pro's and con's.

OB's do have less maintenance but when an engine goes an engine tends to go. So the expense to rebuild/replace is greater.

IB's. Have a stuffing box go and your boat could be resting on the bottom quickly. Shafts that need to be trued and props tend to be more expensive.

And we all know the trials and tribulations with I/O's.

Me. I'm just happy to be on the water. IO, OB, IB, heck it could be solar powered for all I care.
                Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                1998 3055 Ciera
                (yes, a 1998)
                Previous boat: 1993 3055
                Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                Sea Doo XP
                Sea Doo GTI SE
                Life is short. Boats are cool.
                The family that plays together stays together.
                Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

We have done quite a bit of corrective as well as preemptive work on our 7.4L MPI and Bravo 3 this year, which included pulling the engine in our Ciera 2855. While out, replaced the steering pin and seal, gimbal ring, bell housing, engine drive coupler, exhaust baffles, raw water pump, drive oil elbow, trim senders, and serpentine belt. Also replacing the exhaust down tubes- doing that myself. Still have an alarm sounding at higher RPMs- we're awaiting a code reader, as my mechanic had his stolen. I hoping these repairs will take us through a good number of years- the engine has only 279 hrs, and was described by them as the cleanest 7.4L they had ever seen come out of a 17 year old boat. Zero corrosion. Fingers crossed.
                  Jeff Prime
                  "Optimystic Prime"
                  2000 Bayliner 2855 Ciera Sunbridge
                  Anacortes, WA

Comment

Working...
                  X