Basic setting of Delco Voyager Ignition-gctid818081

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic setting of Delco Voyager Ignition-gctid818081

How do I set the very basic setting for the first startup?

I know the procedure for setting timing and advancing, but the first step I missed, on old systems with points it was straight forward but I can't figure this one out.

Surely I'm missing something elementary, but what ? :P
    1995 Bayliner 2452
    Alpha 1 Gen II
    2016 - 5.7 Vortec 4BBL
    Full Closed Cooling

Set the rotor pointing at #1 wire. Have someone try to start it as you move the dist back and forth a little till it starts. How i do it anyway :whistle:

Also do not lean over the carb doing this as it can backfire and usually does!
    Pat. Sandpoint Ida
    I NEED ANOTHER BOAT!!

Comment

I do it like Amadaies. I use a remote starter button attached to the slave, leave the distributor loose enough to move by hand and have the timing light hooked up ready to dial it in. Flame arrestor on for the potential backfire inch:
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556
      Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

This has worked for me for well over 50 years. It does not matter which gasoline engine..... the procedure is very much the same for each.

Most gasoline engines require spark lead (advance) for start-up and for at idle speeds.

Bring #1 cylinder around to 4, 6 or 8 degrees BTDC on the C/S. Must be on C/S!!!!! (C/S = compression stroke)

Place a good spark plug in the boot of #1 cylinder cable, and make sure that the spark plug body makes a good metallic contact.

(use caution re; gasoline vapors)

For a SBC engine:

With Ignition ON, quickly rotate the distributor housing counter clockwise until you see one spark event.

(by rotating the housing CCW, we are similulating the inner shaft rotating CW and triggering one spark event)

Repeat this until you get a good feel for it and until you are able stop rotating the moment of the spark event!

Now gently lock the housing hold-down clamp.

This will put you close enough to a 6 or 8 degree lead for an initial start-up.

Once up and running, use the Delco procedure to set ignition advance .

Make sure that the new system cannot offer excessive TA (total advance) at the TA RPM.

Excessive TA will cause engine damage while under load.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks to all of you, hopefully I can get my new motor running when I get back from Sweden, was over and help my friend who was stranded with a broken GM 6.5.

One piston broken, could move app. 10 mm up and down, shit. Have you ever seen this before ?
          1995 Bayliner 2452
          Alpha 1 Gen II
          2016 - 5.7 Vortec 4BBL
          Full Closed Cooling

Comment

2850Bounty

Excellent advice, worked like a dream, engine fired right up. Nice to hear that new engine purring.

Thank you
            1995 Bayliner 2452
            Alpha 1 Gen II
            2016 - 5.7 Vortec 4BBL
            Full Closed Cooling

Comment

"mr.bent" post=820520 wrote:
              2850Bounty

Excellent advice, worked like a dream, engine fired right up. Nice to hear that new engine purring.

Thank you
              [color]blue wrote:
              You are very welcome..... and I am glad that it worked for you![/color]

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
              Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
              Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
              X