New Hot water tank installation. Re : Heat exchangers-gctid817973

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Hot water tank installation. Re : Heat exchangers-gctid817973

I am replacing an Atwood 6 gal heater with a Kuuma 6 gal heater with heat exchangers which are on the front unlike the Atwood which were at the back of the heater.. Can I use the electric portion only and not use the engine heat exchangers? My Atwood did not use the engine to heat the water. This Kuuma is model 18111.

The instructions are somewhat confusing but it does say the following " IF using engine heat exchanger, connect 5/8 inch diameter SAE 20R3 or equivalent coolant hose to heat exchange tubes at the rear or front of water heater."

I assume by reading this, the heater can be used without hooking up to the engine and only can heat the water using shorepower only .

Any advice you could give me would be great.
    1994 2655 Bayliner, 5.0 merc, bravo 1

Yes, you can use the water heater without plumbing in the heat exchanger portion. Personally I'd want it the other way if I had to choose
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

"Dupes" post=817973 wrote:
      I am replacing an Atwood 6 gal heater with a Kuuma 6 gal heater with heat exchangers which are on the front unlike the Atwood which were at the back of the heater.. Can I use the electric portion only and not use the engine heat exchangers?

[color]blue wrote:
      Yes![/color]

The instructions are somewhat confusing but it does say the following " IF using engine heat exchanger, connect 5/8 inch diameter SAE 20R3 or equivalent coolant hose to heat exchange tubes at the rear or front of water heater."

[color]blue wrote:
      The instructions refer to the Water Heater's internal "heat exchanger" , of which can be confusing when we may also see a Marine Engine Heat Exchanger.[/color]

I assume by reading this, the heater can be used without hooking up to the engine and only can heat the water using shorepower only .

[color]blue wrote:
      Yes.... that is correct![/color]

Any advice you could give me would be great.

[color]blue wrote:
      OK.... my advice would be to plumb the WH's heat exchanger into the Engine's cooling system.

Supply = intake manifold port just prior to thermostat location

Return = port in engine circulating pump in the suction side[/color]
      Builderdude wrote:

Yes, you can use the water heater without plumbing in the heat exchanger portion. Personally I'd want it the other way if I had to choose

[color]blue wrote:
      Same here. Engine coolant provided Hot Water is basically free![/color]
      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
      X