Different shifting units-gctid817961

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different shifting units-gctid817961

So ive recently been looking at different boats and some 95-2005 same model throughout the various years have different shifters on them.

By shifter i mean the throttle lever/forward neutral reverse. Curious what the differences are between them. I have a us marine on my bayliner and it seems pretty aweful, it is almost 30 years old so..

I think im seeing 2-3 different ones.

How do they function on a boat with twins? Only opperated a single drive
    1993 formula pc 31 twin 454 bravo 2
    1989 2655 cierra 5.7 omc cobra
    2014 "searay" tandom trailer

Anchor bay clinton river
    Michigan

Anchor bay clinton river
    Michigan

Comment

Update. So in the top picture, those are livorsi controlls. Which are aftermarket high end used in off shore boats for precision throttle control and engine balancing in harsh conditions.

Thats all i got. Looks like they have independent shift selector from throttle

Anchor bay clinton river
      Michigan

Comment

The first pic you showed, the Livorsi controls, are what's known as "Dual Lever" - the shifter and throttles are separate. I actually prefer this style, though they have gone away in single engine applications.

Most boats run "single lever" controls, which your second pic shows. It is a shifter and throttle combo in one.

Depending on where your shift lever is mounted you might be able to swap to a dual lever control. In the case of twins, you want the ability to precisely control shifting and throttle work for both engines, which is why the levers are sometimes separate.
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

For those who have not or do not own boats with dual lever controls, they do not know what they are missing.

In my opinion, once you experience dual lever controls, it would be difficult to return to single lever controls.

Each to his own..... but for me..... it's Dual Lever!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
          X