Is the length stamped on the steering rack or cable someplace-gctid817794

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the length stamped on the steering rack or cable someplace-gctid817794

It's time, my boat wanders, around enough to irk me into a new steering cable. So where is the OEM length stamped on the steering? I'd rather have it handy and order it in advance than yank and measure.

If they are Teleflex/Seastar cables then I believe the cable part number is stamped into the jacket within the first few feet of ONE end of the cable. I had a customer support e-mail from them telling me it will start with a letter then be 5 or 6 digits long then -003- then the cable length in inches.

Hope this helps.
    Tyson, Ackerley, Sidney & Gene
    Tsawwassen, BC
    1996 2858 Ciera Command Bridge
    Mercruiser 7.4L BRAVO II (GEN. V) GM 454 V-8; Engine Serial 0F603347
    "Island Passport"
    Home Marina: Tillicum Bay Marina, Sechelt Inlet, BC

Comment

Yank and measure is the easiest method. It's a simple replacement and they're easy to get. I had to buy a whole new rack pinion assy w/cable for mine. It was the pinion that had worn.
      Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Good points all. I know my rack is worn as I can feel the teeth slopping back and forth. No question about that . Looks like that will be one of those put off till a Fall jobs. It'll keep till then and in the mean time I'll see if I can find those numbers .

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I'll likely do it at seasons end but I want to get the parts before hand. I know my rack is

Toast because I can feel the teeth coming together . It makes the low speed wander all that more interesting. :unsure:

Comment

I do not use the remove and measure system, it is much easier to get the length from one end of the cable then buy a new cable and tape the new to the old and pull the new cable into place depending if there are clamps holding the cable in the mid section.
            Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

It's nice if you can do that, people twist tie to the cable wires they ran.
              Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Ok I went up under the panel and it's a teleflex but no numbers on either end , at least visible! . So it's the measure method. I'd rather order first and install when the day is right so just how is this measured, from where to where. I am replacing the worn rack as well. I can get at all of it to lay a tape on as long as I do a section at a time and mark it. Sojust how accurate does this have to be?

Comment

Sorry, I misread your post...I was referring to shift/throttle cables...Your profile (what boat you have) is not filled out but you can find the cable specs from the bayliner parts catalog for your model...that's where I found mine. Hope this helps...
                  Brad & Michelle
                  Jet & Maverick
                  1993 3688 "the Kraken"
                  Hino W06 250HP
                  14' Avon RIB, 50hp Tohatsu
                  Moored at Shelter Bay
                  LaConner, WA

Comment

"driz" post=820333 wrote:
                    Sojust how accurate does this have to be?
                    That's an easy one... 1" too short = you're screwed.

One FOOT too long... you get to carry around more cable and you'll never feel the difference. I measured mine and then bought a foot longer for good measure. I bought the entire helm and it was an easy change. Hardest part was getting the wheel off.
                    Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

"SomeSailor" post=820350 wrote:
                      "driz" post=820333 wrote:
                      Sojust how accurate does this have to be?
                      That's an easy one... 1" too short = you're screwed.

One FOOT too long... you get to carry around more cable and you'll never feel the difference. I measured mine and then bought a foot longer for good measure. I bought the entire helm and it was an easy change. Hardest part was getting the wheel off.
                      Got it. Now with a complete rack change will I be getting the mating gear as well or is that a separate part? I imagine that like most things gear that both engagements wear about equally and cHanging only one isn't the right way to go.

Comment

Working...
                      X