Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing all water lines and clamps ? Good idea ?-gctid817630

1988 3818 Bayliner

I've been battle ling several leaky old water lines and clamps.

I fill up the water tank and 5 days later most of the water is in the bilge.

When I can get the yard to work on it, they find a leak and patch it, later another leak pops up.

Would it be a good idea to replace every water line and clamp in the whole boat ?

Maybe even replace aluminum tank.

4 sinks, 1 water tank, 1 shower and tub and 4 bilge pumps .

"ctbarbarian" post=817630 wrote:
    1988 3818 Bayliner

I've been battle ling several leaky old water lines and clamps.

I fill up the water tank and 5 days later most of the water is in the bilge.

When I can get the yard to work on it, they find a leak and patch it, later another leak pops up.

Would it be a good idea to replace every water line and clamp in the whole boat ?

Maybe even replace aluminum tank.

4 sinks, 1 water tank, 1 shower and tub and 4 bilge pumps .
    Depending on where you live (please fill out your profile), the water could have frozen and cracked the tank. Aluminum tanks also leak with age. Or it could just be old hoses and rusted clamps. B)
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

Comment

Tank leakage should be visible through floor hatch in guest stateoom. Water will be visible as well you can put your phone on video with the light on and you can see right under the water tank.

You should be able to see all water connections and determine how to proceed. Replacing entire system is a good sized job!

Good luck!
      Craig
      Nanaimo bc
      1987 bayliner 3818
      w/ 175 Hinos no Genny, but solar to run everything!
      10ft Livingston with centre console and 15hp on davits / winch

Comment

CT,

Before I'd pull the pin on a complete system replacement I'd attempt to determine the leak source. If your water tank level decreases over time without the pump being on that's a pretty big clue you have a tank issue. You could fill your tank will colored water(food coloring) and let it stand with the pump off. If you find colored water in the bilge you know the source. Does your pump cycle on/off often? If so you have a system leak with resultant pressure loss.
        Jim Gandee
        1989 3888
        Hino 175's
        Fire Escape
        [email protected]
        Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Best guess for total replacement of water system, hoses, clamps , tank

over $4k or under ?

1988 3818 Bayliner

Comment

found out the bottom of the water corroded out and needs replacement.

new tank aluminum or plastic?

Comment

Working...
            X