No announcement yet.

Any ideas what is causing my 350 mag MPI to bog down at 2800 rpm?-gctid817159

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any ideas what is causing my 350 mag MPI to bog down at 2800 rpm?-gctid817159

Hello everyone. I've got a 2000 350 Mag MPI inboard on my 24' Ciera Classic which has been running great since last year's tuneup. I put about 70 hours total run time on the boat last summer, then winterized it.

I dropped it in the water in late June and it has been running like a top. Fluids are all topped up, I did an oil change at the end of last season. Trying to get out of the hole and up on plane, the engine begins to surge at 2800 rpm.

I changed out the fuel/water separator today with a new one and took it for a sea-trial, same result. No sign of any leaks in the fuel lines. I played around with the trim-tabs and once I got over the 2800 rpm and up on plane, I was able to cruise at 2900/3000 with no problem.

I'm wondering if I need to check the fuel pump and fuel pressure. I had new plugs put in at the beginning of last season ( again, about 70 hours on them).

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
    Mike
    2000 2452 Classic
    350 Mag MPI
    Bravo 3 DuoProp

Do you have a fuel filter installed prior to the fuel water separator hat has not been changed? Perhaps before a fuel flow sensor?

Could be fuel pump. Restriction is more a likely culprit.
    Craig
    Nanaimo bc
    1987 bayliner 3818
    w/ 175 Hinos no Genny, but solar to run everything!
    10ft Livingston with centre console and 15hp on davits / winch

Comment

Hi Craig, no fuel filter installed prior to the water separator. I'll check the hoses from the tank. I thought the new fuel water separator install today would have fixed the problem....I'll have to check the fuel pump after I see if any of the fuel lines are kinked/restricted.

Thanks!
      Mike
      2000 2452 Classic
      350 Mag MPI
      Bravo 3 DuoProp

Comment

I used to find on mine that once in a while I'd get a dirty injector. It would feel like the boat had less power to a certain range and would then all of a sudden feel like a turbo charger kicked in. Often it was the injector finally opening.

I found that doing the Sea Foam Shock Treatment worked very well to clean the injectors up. No harm in doing it. I'd take a 1 gallon fuel can of gas and add an entire container of Sea Foam. I rigged up a fuel line to the fuel pump and ran it into the can. With the engine already warm, start the boat running on the new fuel, and run the engine up to 2000 RPMs and let it run like that for about 5 minutes. The the engine sit for 30 minutes and then do the same process again -- run for 5, sit for 30. Then take the boat out for a good run afterwards. I found the process very successful at cleaning up any dirty injectors.

Note that if you do it on the hard, after the first 30 minute sit, when you start the engine again you'll experience a bunch of white smoke from the exhaust. That's the crap being burned off and is normal. It will clear in a few moments.
        Terry
        1999 Bayliner 3388
        Twin Cummins 4BTA
        Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
        Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

Is your fuel alcohol free? How old is it?
          Brett & Elise, Sammy + Wilson
          New Addition - 2002 Trophy 2002WA FF Optimax 135
          GO HAWKS!

Comment

Thanks for all of the ideas and suggestions. After a new fuel/water separator, Sea Foam treatment, checking the hoses for leaks, I've checked the fuel psi in the rail and it is only at 25-28 at idle and 32 under load. When I add throttle to WOT, the pressure drops to about 24 psi. I've checked the manual and it seems to say I need around 42 psi ( only getting about 4000-4100 rpm at WOT as well, about 600-1000 under spec )

Has anybody had their fuel cooler ( Mercruiser KoolFuel) system replaced? It's in a crazy awkward spot, below the serpentine belt at the bottom of the engine. It houses one of the two likely culprits, either the boost pump, or a throttle sensor.

Of course, nobody sells just those items individually any longer, I've been told I need the entire 'kit'.

Anybody had this kit replaced before?
            Mike
            2000 2452 Classic
            350 Mag MPI
            Bravo 3 DuoProp

Comment

Cool fuel GEN 2 should be on your boat.

43 PSI fuel pressure REGULATOR on the cool fuel body. There is a REGULATOR FILTER under the regulator... will need to check or replace.
              Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
              Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
              93 3058 sold
              92 2855 (day boat)
              91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
              Longbranch WA
              Life is Good

Comment

fuel pressure is good...30 PSI for your engine,

REGULATOR marking needs to be verified to see what you have, pink 30 PSI, blue 43PSI, Only small block scorpion is 43 PSI.

Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                93 3058 sold
                92 2855 (day boat)
                Longbranch WA
                Life is Good

Comment

if the engine is running out of power and has a surge to it, its undoubtedly a fuel starvation issue...

NU LIBERTE'
                  Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                  5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                  N2K equipped throughout..
                  2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                  2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                  '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                  Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Thanks for all of your ideas/suggestions everyone. An update. After enjoying most of the summer with my boat out of the water, it should be back to me tomorrow. I'm hoping the shop calls me in the morning. New Cool Fuel system ( what a headache...more about that later) New manifolds/elbows, risers as my boat is raw water cooled. Looking forward to see how the sea-trial goes tomorrow.

If anybody in Canada is looking to replace your CoolFuel system, a couple of things.....even a Merc Authorized Dealer has issues with head office not sending the pressure regulator with the new kit, which of course, is no longer available as individual parts, but an entire new kit at about $750 Canadian. Apparently there weren't any pressure regulators anywhere in Canada, one had to be flown from head office, then it was learned despite Mercruiser having my engine's serial number, they sent the wrong generation of Cool Fuel modules.

As for the raw water versus fresh water cooled debate, after spending $$$, I don't have the $$$ for a freshwater system right now. Has anybody rigged a freshwater fill-line on a 't' junction on their seawater intake hose? Just wondering if there is a way I can fresh water flush without having to remove the boat from the water. Despite living on an island, no good boat ramps to launch/load.

Thanks for any suggestions.
                    Mike
                    2000 2452 Classic
                    350 Mag MPI
                    Bravo 3 DuoProp

Comment

Hi Mike,

Yes, I've done this before. There is a product that you can purchase in a kit, or make it yourself. Essentially 3 valves plumbed together -- better to use heavy duty bronze valves rather than plastic. One that stops the raw water in, one that stops the water flowing to the pump, and a valve with a garden hose fitting.

Use Salt-Away in the garden hose attachment. Close the raw water intake valve, open the garden hose / Salt-Away valve, start water flowing, start boat, flush system at idle until you see the soapy bubble appear in the water. Shut engine off. Open raw water valve, and close garden hose valve.
                      Terry
                      1999 Bayliner 3388
                      Twin Cummins 4BTA
                      Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
                      Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

Perko flush pro is an option, a few members have used it with no issues.

https://www.starmarinedepot.com/perk...iABEgJ70_D_BwE
                        Dave
                        Edmonds, WA
                        "THE FIX"
                        '93 2556
                        Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                        Misc. projects thread
                        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Mercruiser should have known GEN 2 cool fuel module on a 99 engine,

so were you able to get the right kind pressure regulator?
                          Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                          93 3058 sold
                          92 2855 (day boat)
                          Longbranch WA
                          Life is Good

Comment

Good luck with your sea trial, hope your problem is resolved. I'll be interested to hear what finally fixed the problem. I have a similar bogging down issue with a Mercruiser 5L MPI engine. One mechanic thinks the fuel injectors are plugged, and another one thinks I have a degraded valve seat that's leaking. I've lost most of the summer of boating too. So frustrating!
                            2006 Maxum 2600SE with Merc 5.0L MPI/Bravo III

Comment

Yup, when an EFI engine acts up, it can be a real PITA to diagnose even using a scanning tool!

Ice, you should have all your injectors cleaned PROFESSIONALLY... it is recommended to do them every 300-400 HRS or 3-4 YRS.

injectors clogged most likely, just because you have a GEN3 fuel module.

Start your engine, before she gets too hot, see if can touch each exhaust manifold port from the underside...clogged injector, non-firing hole won't be too warm.

Unplug the injector connector on your suspected hole, see if that will make any difference.

Now unplug the spark plug wire on that hole, pull the plug to inspect wet or dry.
                              Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                              93 3058 sold
                              92 2855 (day boat)
                              Longbranch WA
                              Life is Good

Comment

Working...
                              X