Westerbeke 9K unit starting?-gctid816909

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westerbeke 9K unit starting?-gctid816909

My Westerbeke unit starts and runs well when cold. Once I shut the unit down it is usually not possible to get the glow plugs to show they are activated and consuming electricity nor will the unit turn over. If I leave it for half a day or a day on activating the glow plug switch I can see it is causing the plugs to work and the unit will crank over and start.

It just dawned on me as I wrote this that my problem may be in a faulty glow plug switch on my dash? Next time it won't activate the glow plugs I will jumper this switch to see if it is the problem. Any other thoughts on what might be causing this is appreciated.

John
    16' lap straight with B&S inboard, my 1st commercial fishing adventure
    17' run about with original 80ph Volvo, fun with some exploration of the coast
    25' Chris Craft - lots of fun exploring further north on the BC coast
    32' wood commercial salmon troller - ice boat, hard work & fun
    41' wood commercial salmon troller - ice boat, hard work & fun
    38' Permaglass commercial salmon troller - freezer boat, harder work & fun
    1987 3870 with 175 Hinos - back to mostly fun again & exploration

It turned out to be the starting solenoid was my problem. I couldn't find a replacement unit the same style so installed a continuous acting solenoid. This type of solenoid requires a ground wire off the I, ignition post while the original one grounded through the solenoid case. The new unit not only corrected the spotty starting sequence it also corrected the spotty action of the fuel control solenoid with it increasing the RPM on start up and the stopping of the unit on turning off the ignition switch.
    16' lap straight with B&S inboard, my 1st commercial fishing adventure
    17' run about with original 80ph Volvo, fun with some exploration of the coast
    25' Chris Craft - lots of fun exploring further north on the BC coast
    32' wood commercial salmon troller - ice boat, hard work & fun
    41' wood commercial salmon troller - ice boat, hard work & fun
    38' Permaglass commercial salmon troller - freezer boat, harder work & fun
    1987 3870 with 175 Hinos - back to mostly fun again & exploration

Comment

Working...
    X