Volvo Penta 280 Driving Without Exhaust Bellows-gctid816578

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volvo Penta 280 Driving Without Exhaust Bellows-gctid816578

I bought a 1986 Bayliner Capri last year and the guy I bought it from showed me that it was missing the exhaust bellows (Im pretty sure that's what's missing, see pix below), but that it was no big deal and he'd been driving it without the bellows. I took him at his word, which seemed reasonable, and drove it for about 50 hrs last year. Im getting it ready to get into the water this year for a week at Lake Powell, and since Im having to replace the water intake hose connector, I gave some thought to whether or not to install an exhaust bellows. This is probably my last trip with the boat ever (plan on moving next year and selling it), but it is a full week, and now that I've discovered this BOC site I thought I should ask. Is it OK to run the boat without the bellows? Pix below of the missing part (ignore the broken intake hose connector and the disconnected intake hose)...

Attached files

steve...
    1986 Bayliner Capri 1950BR (Bowrider)
    Volvo Penta 225D V8
    Volvo Penta 280 Outdrive

Do not operate until you replace the bellows!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Ill order the bellows and install, but can you elaborate just a little on why? I.e is it some sort of dire danger of the fuel tank combusting and blowing us to bits, or just very bad for the engine? Its been used for a lot of hours without the bellows, so I know it can be done, but my willingness to use it for 2 hours to checkout everything else is greatly influenced by which type of risk Im taking... Reason I ask is I need to get the boat into the water like an hour from here to make sure it's working OK before taking to Powell for a week, and it's unlikely I'll be able to get the replacement bellows before this weekend. Should be no problem having it on before the following weekend when I leave for Powell, and given your reply I will be sure that I do.

steve...
      steve...
      Volvo Penta 225D V8
      Volvo Penta 280 Outdrive

Comment

A few things to note:

Your water neck fitting and special beaded gasket need to be replaced. This is extremely important.

This is a wear item and will need to be routinely replaced in the future!

Your drive is most likely a 275..... not a 280.

Only some production model 280s were equipped with a back-flow-prevention flapper on the lower gear unit.

Regardless of which drive model, your exhaust bellow directs the exhaust into and out of the stern drive housing.

The 275 back-flow-prevention flapper will be attached to the exhaust outlet housing.

All of these must be in place and working in order to prevent an Un-Wanted surge of water from entering an open and hot exhaust valve(s).

I would NOT operate this boat until these items have been renewed.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks Rick. The outdrive is actually labeled Penta 280. Where do I look for a "back-flow-prevention flapper" in the lower gear unit? I assume that I need the bellows with the flapper if there is none in the housing... Are we talking about inside the hole that the bellows attaches to, or somewhere else?
          steve...
          Volvo Penta 225D V8
          Volvo Penta 280 Outdrive

Comment

Holy cow that waterneck fitting is fully corroded from the intake hose...you're lucky you still have a running motor.

Take bounty's advice, don't even start it on muffs or in a bucket until those items have been fixed.
            2450 Sportcruiser '86
            Repower - Vortec 5.7 '16
            VP275

Comment

Im fiixing, but FYI it was on the last time the boat was in the water; the corroded metal snapped and the hose came off sometime while it was parked this winter..
              steve...
              Volvo Penta 225D V8
              Volvo Penta 280 Outdrive

Comment

I saw your adjacent thread after I had posted: good luck on your trip..and FYI the repairs are relatively simple and not very time consuming.

Cost some shipping but if you order from one supplier -- next day delivery it and you could knock it all out in half a day.
                2450 Sportcruiser '86
                Repower - Vortec 5.7 '16
                VP275

Comment

If the drive was a Mercruiser the original owner would be correct that it doesn't need the bellows.

This is because it has backflow preventers higher in the exhaust (Called flappers).

On the Volvo, as Rick points out, they are either in the bellows, or at the exit of the exhaust on the drive itself.

I consider the bellows exhaust flappers are too restrictive on my V8. I will be moving removing the bellows flappers and adding one to the output of the drive, Volvo 290 style.

Like here:

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-for...rive-do-i-have

Chay

Comment

Thanks. These penta 280s sometimes have the flappers and sometimes dont; I see replacement bellow parts both with and without the flapper for the 280. Which is needed depends on whether or not there is one integrated into the body of the drive itself. Sorry if Im being stupid, but does anyone know where I would look to see if they are integrated into the drive? I dont see an obvious exhaust outlet in my pix of my drive; only vents I see are the water intake
                    steve...
                    Volvo Penta 225D V8
                    Volvo Penta 280 Outdrive

Comment

See if this works.

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...a-aq280#776295
                      Pat. Sandpoint Ida
                      I NEED ANOTHER BOAT!!

Comment

That link was awesome for me; thanks very much. And thanks to everyone who helped me on this thread.

Im a dope... LOL. I have wondered what the seemingly pointless rubber strips are on the back of my outdrive, but never thought to lift them up. Because the bellows wasnt attached, I never noticed exhaust coming out. See picture below; I have flappers! )

Attached files

steve...
                        Volvo Penta 225D V8
                        Volvo Penta 280 Outdrive

Comment

You have what looks like a 290 Lower unit looks to me?
                          Pat. Sandpoint Ida
                          I NEED ANOTHER BOAT!!

Comment

I am starting to wonder if perhaps the outdrive cover plate was replaced with a different drive. Only reason Im wondering is that Rick suggested that I probably had a 275, and when I looked at the AQ225D manual (and the engine DEFINITELY is labeled 225D), that manual only refers to "Drives 275, 290, 290DP". I dont know, but all the stuff I've looked at so far in the Penta 280 manual has LOOKED the same.. I've attached a pic of the whole outdrive; note the Penta 280 plate, and that it doesnt have the 290 side-plate that I saw in the manual pictures...

Attached files

steve...
                            Volvo Penta 225D V8
                            Volvo Penta 280 Outdrive

Comment

To me it looks like a 280 mid/upper with a 290 lower someone put on it.
                              Pat. Sandpoint Ida
                              I NEED ANOTHER BOAT!!

Comment

Working...
                              X