Volvo Penta 280 Water Intake Hose Connector Replacement-gctid816574

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volvo Penta 280 Water Intake Hose Connector Replacement-gctid816574

Im new to boat work, so Im looking for any advice that may be out there. This seems simple enough, but if there's something I dont realize, better to find out BEFORE I take this apart! If anyone has advice about replacing this, or thoughts on my 2 questions below, I'd really appreciate the info.

im getting my 86 Bayliner Capri ready for the water and when I started it up (with muffs) I realized that the water intake hose wasnt connected (making the muffs pointless I think). At least I think this is the water intake hose... Pictures below, you may need to zoom a little. After looking at parts diagrams and the workshop manual, I have identified the part as the "hose connector", and mine has corroded and a piece of the connector broke off, leaving part of the attachment nipple gone. I tried to connect the hose to what was left, but it doesnt want to stay attached. I found the part on iboats.com with a new gasket, and it looks straightforward enough to install, but I read some posts on iboats that leave me with questions (http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...ckup-leaking):

1 - near the top of that forum thread, someone said "You've replaced the gasket beneath the fitting you mentioned? I always have trouble with that gasket, it doesn't like to sit down on the intermediate very well when new, the oring part likes to pop out." Am I missing something? Seems like there's only a gasket and the metal connector, and an O-ring doesnt come into it unless you take something else apart...

2 - farther down in that forum thread, someone gave advice about "pulling the upper gear box in order to have good access to the fitting", but I'd really rather NOT do that if I can avoid it, for a few reasons. (a) the outdrive is old, and taking things apart may like end up breaking or cracking or somehow damaging some other part that is currently working and I need this thing in the water next weekend, and (b) there's talk about difficulty getting O-rings in, and (c) I dont know for sure what parts I'd need and how fast I can get them if I do take it apart...

Attached files

steve...
    1986 Bayliner Capri 1950BR (Bowrider)
    Volvo Penta 225D V8
    Volvo Penta 280 Outdrive

Apologies, but Im refreshing this thread just because the BOC server quit working for this thread pretty soon after I posted it...
    steve...
    Volvo Penta 225D V8
    Volvo Penta 280 Outdrive

Comment

I'll have time to post to this in the morning. Meanwhile, yes you need a new water neck fitting ........ and where is the exhaust bellows?
      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

The advice hes offering you is as:

"2850Bounty" post=816835 wrote:
        "sandt" post=816574 wrote:

[color]blue wrote:
        [size]7 wrote:
        worth it's weight in gold and then some![/size]

..... please take heed to what I'm suggesting! [/color]
        ..i just saw this in conjunction with the other thread you posted solely Re: no Ex.Bellows

The advice will save you more than a few BOAT dollars while costing you less than 1/4 of one.
        2450 Sportcruiser '86
        Repower - Vortec 5.7 '16
        VP275

Comment

Sorry for all the questions...

If I understand correctly, there is no other part needed besides the water neck fitting and the gasket coming with it, and the O-ring thing that other poster was talking about must have been this gasket bead, which is actually *PART* of the gasket itself (and must be tricky to get in right), right?

Removing the upper gear housing:

1) Big question: If I get brave and take the upper gear housing off (no repair places in town will do this stuff), it sounds like I need an O-ring, and that's it. Do I need anything else ready?

2) If the upper gear housing is removed just to change the water neck fitting, is replacing the drive bellows as simple as just unscrewing the clamps, sliding the bellows off, and sliding on a new one and clamping it?

3) Im no mechanic, though Im normally not afraid to fix stuff myself. You tell me if I should NOT do this after reading this one... Im not sure how involved this looks though. Looking at the workshop manual (crud, cant attach it, attached shots of pg 29 and 30), on pg 29 it has a couple simple steps for removing the housing (drain oil, remove nuts, remove cotter pin and washer from gear linkage, and 2 more bolts). That is followed by a giant slew of disassembly stuff for the housing involving the gears [pg 30-34], assembly stuff for the housing for the gears [pg 35-40], and then final assembly [pg 41-45]. I think the removal of the upper gear housing ends with step 2 on page 30. Im not sure I can even identify the steps that reinstall the upper gear housing, and I dont understand all the shimming stuff. It's totally not clear to me how the upper housing comes away from the universal joint going to the engine, nor how it disengages from the lower parts of the drive once the bolts are out. ***So is this as simple as remove the oil, remove a few bolts and cotter pin, lift the upper gear housing away from the drive, do my work on the neck fitting (and maybe u-joint bellows), drop on a new o-ring (with grease???), settle the gear housing back in place, and screw everything back in?

4) anyone know what kinds of oil I should put back in? Manual says use engine oil, which engine block says is Energy conserving SF, SF/CC or SF/CD, whatever that means... The AQ225D manual says SAE 10W-30

Attached files

steve...
          Volvo Penta 225D V8
          Volvo Penta 280 Outdrive

Comment

1- How do I heat the suspension fork? I saw a post from you on another site that mention a heat gun (dont have) or a small propane torch (do have). If I use the torch, I have no experience there, how far to hold away from the fork? I assume I apply the heat to the fork next to the bolts, and not to the bolts themselves?

2 - I really appreciate the offer of a phone conversation if I run into trouble; that's above and beyond! Im pretty much out of time though, and I have to have this boat in the water by Sunday, no flexibility there... I'll be lucky to get the other O-rings by Sat morn, so if I do run into problems, how do I get in contact with you? Posting and waiting a day wont work...

3 - Im trying to figure out the O-rings I need, and I've definitely identified the upper unit bearing retainer and 1 for the oil-drain-back-tube, and I found the dipstick, but Im confused about the others. You said the dipstick and drain plug were the same O-ring, and I've read the same in other forums, but the dipstick part number is different from the others, and it looks like the drain plug part is a gasket with a different part number. There is another O-ring near the dipstick, but that's clearly not the drain plug... All 3 have different part numbers. I've attached a parts diagram for the upper O-rings with the 3 of them circled (C, D and E below), and the parts numbers I found are below (just for convenience for anyone reading this thread in future). Is it definitely the gasket below (D) that is needed? If so, and I cant get that drain plug gasket in time, Is it likely I'll be able to use the existing one and change it next week?

A) Upper Housing to intermediate Housing O-ring: VOLVO: 925259, Sierra O-Ring #18-7186

B) oil-drain-back-tube O-ring: Volvo 125017, Sierra #18-7178-9

-------------------------

C) diag#71 dipstick O-ring: Volvo 955974, Sierra 18-7193

D) diag#6 oil drain plug gasket: Volvo 897682, cant find sierra part

E) diag#9 Oil Fill??? O-ring: Volvo 955989, Sierra 18-7149

4) If I cant get the dipstick O-ring and drain-plug gasket by Fri (looks like I cant get anything but the upper unit bearing retainer and the oil-drain-back-tube before next week), it looks like they could be replaced after the housing has already been removed and reattached, right??

5) I'd rather not rush things, and do the housing and the drive bellows right, so if I cant get the parts in time, is it POSSIBLE to change the water neck fitting without removing the housing? I know it's possible to do the exhaust bellows without removing it, but I only THINK it's possible to do the neck fitting...

thanks a LOT

Attached files

steve...
            Volvo Penta 225D V8
            Volvo Penta 280 Outdrive

Comment

About #3 in my message and the O-rings, that diagram you provided a link to was the one that I used, and unless Im totally misidentifying the drain plug (I circled in the picture I attached to last message), it's a different part number than the O-rings. The numbers I put in my post as "diag#" were the seq #'s on the diagram, then had the Volvo OEM number, followed by Sierra if I could find it (I wanted to make this easy for others looking for part numbers). Note that the part names from the diagram for #6 was "gasket" and #5 next to it was "Plug". #5 was the only thing named "Plug". I think this is the right part in the diagram for the drain plug and it's a gasket, and i found the same Volvo part number listed in other forums by people looking for these seals. However, the gasket isnt available on many of the part sites, so Im guessing maybe people are using the dipstick )-ring instead?

C) diag#71 dipstick O-ring: Volvo 955974, Sierra 18-7193

D) diag#6 oil drain plug gasket: Volvo 897682, cant find sierra part

E) diag#9 Oil Fill??? O-ring: Volvo 955989, Sierra 18-7149
              steve...
              Volvo Penta 225D V8
              Volvo Penta 280 Outdrive

Comment

my apologies, I think I understand now. I assumed that since we've been discussing removing the upper gear housing that we were talking about an oil drain plug somewhere on that housing. However, there's a drain plug on the lower gear housing that takes the same O-ring as the dipstick. Were you saying that O-ring needed changed because I have to drain the oil from the whole outdrive using that bottom plug on the lower gear unit, and when I reinstall that plug I should replace the O-ring? And there is no need to mess with the Seq#5 plug and #6 gasket on the upper gear unit? I think other people have been confused about this before, and that's why I thought I needed that gasket.
                steve...
                Volvo Penta 225D V8
                Volvo Penta 280 Outdrive

Comment

As a general Rule...replace all O-rings you encounter especially those that are in a "Squish type" seal and/or are on a "Threaded/Twist plug" (the buggers stretch and permanently compress) ..its cheap insurance that they will positively seal until next service.
                  2450 Sportcruiser '86
                  Repower - Vortec 5.7 '16
                  VP275

Comment

Working...
                  X