Stereo Question-gctid398602

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stereo Question-gctid398602

I am installing a new stereo, pulling the beloved cassette player. Here's the question, Does anyone connect the wire for the memory direct to the battery or do most go through the trouble of re-programing each time you want to listen to a radio station?
    Ted G
    The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
    Designers Edition
    Mercury 350 Mag
    290 Volvo DP

on all aftermarket radios theres a red yellow and black wire.with my boat i put the yellow and red wires together to go to main power and my black to the ground.now with that said i left my face plate on the radio and i think it drained my battery down so i might run my red accessory wire to my ignition switch so it is a true switch power then

Comment

The West Marine stero I just installed would not power up without the memory wire connected.
      Simo
      2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain -> SOLD!
      Shameless lurking on Lake Keowee with a Harris Cruiser 210 Tritoon/Mercury 150XL EFI

Comment

its not going to because the stereo needs that wire hooked up as switch power or you can bypass it and hook it to the yellow constant wire.its not just a memory wire

Comment

When I rewire my boat Im not leaving anything direct to the battery. When I turn the battery switch off, I want everything off. I don't get any good radio stations anywhere so Im not worried about station memory though. I just use my ipod or pandora.

Comment

you have two options.

1)Connect the +12v wire to battery (usually comes with a fuse, don't install the radio without a fuse either way)

and install the ACC wire to the ignition switch or a separate switch.

This will only use power from the battery just to save the time on your radio nothing else, just like in a car. It can run off your battery for months without killing your battery. Just make sure your ACC switch is off when you leave.

2)Connect +12v wire and ACC wire together to a switch then to battery. Every time you use the radio, you'd have to flip the switch and probably re-program the timer on your radio.

Comment

Mine is factory wire with the memory wire going to the house battery. The memory only draws 5 ma, (I measured it with a DVM) so its not an issue
              Captharv 2001 2452
              "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

I'm looking at replacing my 'tape deck' too! 1989 2655, mounted in the galley cabinet. Seems awfull tight trying to reach in via the cupboard doors. Anybody thats had that experience, is the easiest way to get to it by removing the galley stove?

Comment

Working...
                X