Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerger
    replied
    I picked up a 97 Capri 2050 a few months ago and much like your's it's a project boat. I brought it to a known and trusted mechanic for a once over and some long overdue maintenance, and had asked him to replace a tach voltmeter that was reading low. (He checked to ensure the alternator was charging).

Long story short he called to ask if I really wanted to go forward with the guage replacement as the steering column would need to be disassembled to get to the guage panel. He said it was a peculiar situation and hadn't come across a requirement like this before, but spent a good deal of time confirming that indeed the column had to be removed to get to the dash.

Suffice to say I declined given the amount of labor involved since I plan to pull it later to re-face the panel and replace the guages anyhow. He said it was a wise choice and suggested I replace the fuse block while in there as well.

I hope this helps and if you tackle it or find another, easier, way please post pics. I'll do the same when I dig in to mine.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• jaw277a
    started a topic 96 Capri dash panel removal-gctid816366

96 Capri dash panel removal-gctid816366

I bought a 1996 Capri 2050ss two years ago as somewhat of a project boat. I have slowly been painting and reupholstering most of the boat. I have now come to the dash panel that I want to repaint but can't figure out how to remove the piece. I am well aware of all the wires that I'm going to deal with once removing the gauges so that's not an issue. Do I need to take bow back seat off to reach inside? If so how do I do that? I don't think there are clips because pulling up on the seats doesn't seem to work. Or should I go from underneath? Are there bolts or clips holding on the dash panel? Thanks for the help.
Working...
X