Ciera 3055 Lesson Learned Clean Your Drains-gctid816363

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ciera 3055 Lesson Learned Clean Your Drains-gctid816363

I'm posting this here to potentially help some other 3055 owners avoid a potential problem. We were out on Lake Erie Monday doing some drift fishing. The boat ran beautifully from the marina out onto the lake and we fished for several hours. (A couple of nights before we had hours of pouring rain... this is relevant later.) Periodically we would fire up both engines and motor back out several hundred yards and drift back. After two or three times doing this I noticed the port engine started running rough. I thought maybe it was just due to the fact that we were basically idling and not putting much load on the engines and it was either getting a little flooded or possibly starved.

Go back to fire it up again and drift again and the engine would not fire. It would crank with no problem but just wouldn't fire. So we limped back to the marina on one engine and with the help of my dock neighbors started troubleshooting. Went through the fuel system and there were no issues. Gas was flowing freely, there was no water in the fuel, fuel pump was good.

We decided to pull the distributor and take a look and low and behold it was full of water. Which had us all stumped. How in the heck did that happen? We thought perhaps it was just condensation that had built up or perhaps water from the rain had seeped in somehow. No water had spilled on over the transom to get in there. Anyway sprayed some WD40 in there wiped it all out and the engine fired up right away.

Then we noticed the drain in the upper corner of the engine hatch was dirty and upon closer inspection had standing water on it. Followed the drain hose back and didn't realize it was actually tied into the courtesy sink above. So as we were fishing we were rinsing our hands off and water was flowing down the drain and since it was plugged where it exits the boat it was backing up in the top drain and running down into the distributor.

So long story short make sure you periodically check those drains all over your boat but especially the ones sitting under the engine hatch. I hope this saves somebody else the hassle we experienced.
    1999 Bayliner 3055 Ciera Sunbridge
    "Home Office"
    Home port Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

Good lesson. Many a boat has gone down due to clogged drains and scuppers.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Thanx for sharing.

Fuel, water and waste vents are pretty important to keep clear too.
      Sea Venture
      2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
      Cruising the PNW and beyond.
      DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
      MMSI 316029971

Kirk
      Drinks well with others.

Comment

Working...
      X