1997 Capri 2050 Outdrive Skeg-gctid816362

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1997 Capri 2050 Outdrive Skeg-gctid816362

I recently picked up a 97 Capri 2050 SS and wanted to get an experienced take on the issues to the outdrive's mechanicals that one could expect from an impact forceful enough to shear off the skeg. (I believe that's the correct term, please correct me if I'm wrong). I've attached a few pics so you can see the damage. For example, should I be considering wholesale replacement of the outdrive, having a replacement welded in, etc...

Also is this a critical piece to fix prior to operation? Could I expect a dramatic impact to steering/stability?

I'm eager to get the boat on the water but of course safety is of utmost concern.

Thanks

Attached files

1997 Bayliner Capri 2050 SS
    Diamondhead, MS
    First time boat owner, purchased in June 2017. Solid hull, sound mechanicals, low hours, but the floor and interior need a full restoration after the boat set outside for 15 of its 20 years. I plan to use it in fresh-brackish-saltwater.

I had a similar experience on my BR185 and had the local welding shop weld a skeg on the unit. I've encountered no problems with it since.
    2011 185BR 4.3L TKS 190HP
    Alpha I Outdrive
    Flight Series
    Monster Tower with Bimini
    South Louisiana

Comment

Once damaged, many have added a "Skeg Guard"...I didn't have damage to mine, but I didn't like seeing the scratched paint from our shallow canals....so I added the Skeg Guard and it looks great....no scratching .... but I think your skeg made the ultimate "sacrifice" and saved the lower unit....pretty much what you would want in that scenario

Lake Hartwell, GA
      2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
      1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
      1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
      1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
      1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
      1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
      1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
      1996 SeaDoo GTX
      1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

I looked into and ordered a Skeg-guard, thanks for the recommendation!

When it comes to drilling the mounting holes is that something a typical 18V cordless drill can do? The outdrive housing looks pretty substantial so I'm wondering if it's time for a "real" drill and has anyone got recommendations about what type of drill bit to use?
        1997 Bayliner Capri 2050 SS
        Diamondhead, MS
        First time boat owner, purchased in June 2017. Solid hull, sound mechanicals, low hours, but the floor and interior need a full restoration after the boat set outside for 15 of its 20 years. I plan to use it in fresh-brackish-saltwater.

Comment

Your good with ya battery drill and a decent drill bit
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556
          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

+1 on what builder dude said...easy peasy
            Lake Hartwell, GA
            2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
            1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
            1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
            1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
            1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
            1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
            1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO