Fuel sending unit leaking-gctid816315

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel sending unit leaking-gctid816315

So I topped off the tank on Monday and the day after that, I noticed the top of the tank was wet. It appears the sending unit gasket is leaking. I tried snuggling down a few of the screws and one of them is stripped. I remove that one to see if it was a sheet metal screw or machine screw but stopped when fuel started coming out. It looks like it's a homemade rubber gasket that is there right now, as it is not perfectly trimmed all around. What type of gasket is it supposed to be, should there be sealant also? And I was thinking of rotating 30┬░ and drilling new holes since one is already stripped.
    Esteban
    Huntington Beach, California
    2018 Element 16
    Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
    Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

"What type of gasket is it supposed to be, should there be sealant also? And I was thinking of rotating 30┬░ and drilling new holes since one is already stripped. "

Typically they come with a rubber type of gasket which seals well without too much tightening.

Typically the fuel senders are a one way fit only - the holes are not symmetric on purpose so that the gage arm swing will be uninterrupted inside the tank.

Solutions could include over drilling the one sheet metal screw hole and utilizing a larger thread or attempting to put a pemnut under the offending screw hole.

Please - if you are working around gas with any tools especially power tools rethink your safety issues. it is one of the areas I will use a hand drill when necessary as opposed to a power drill.
    Northport NY

Comment

While the sending unit. is out for a change of gasket is a good time to suck out any free floatingcrud and water in there. If for some reason you get another sending unit and it comes with screws that fit but WONT THREAD EASILY. Use the old ones as they will be metric threaded. No forcing they should thread right down easily.. Single gaskets cost about $5 Cheap.

Remember power tools includes those handy dandy battery rigs I can't live without. Going up in a fireball will singe your hair and ruin a perfectly good boat:blush:

Comment

New gasket, many, many sources, do not use any sealant, the gasket goes on dry.

Again the gasket goes on dry.
        Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Working...
        X