2556 intermittent difficult steering-gctid815988

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2556 intermittent difficult steering-gctid815988

I first experienced this on the sea trial when I bought the boat, and I added it to my to-fix list and knocked down the price a bit. The wheel became very difficult to turn, like you'd lost power steering. The mechanic I had look at it didn't find any problems, and the first two trips I took the boat out I did not experience the issue.

The third trip the steering functioned just fine 99.9% of the time. But it briefly happened again. We were trolling at hull speed in the middle of the ocean. I spotted some dolphins in the distance to the starboard so started to turn towards them and... the wheel would not turn. I tried cranking on it really hard, and it would slowly turn. But I was afraid the steering cable might be binding somewhere so didn't try more (other than that initial effort to see if it was completely stuck or just tight). 30 seconds later, the problem disappeared and the steering was normal again. We had no further issues the rest of the trip.

My 2556 has the dual helms. Both times I've seen the problem, we were using the lower helm. The sea trail we were going upstream into 1-2 ft chop in the Columbia River. In the ocean there were 1-3 ft waves coming from about the 10 o'clock direction. Anybody have any guesses what could be causing the problem?
    1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2
Working...
X