Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marine engine replaced with auto engine-gctid815847

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to "big" boats in general but I work as a fleet mechanic for a company with both gas and diesel so I have a bit of knowledge in regards to overall repair. My issue is that I bought a 1982 Bayliner 2850 Command Bridge and the original engine was blow and replaced with a Crate 350 car engine. I know there are subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) differences between auto and marine applications so I want to make sure that I am doing things properly before I screw something up. For instance, I would like to perform an oil change but should I use marine or auto oil? My dipstick tube blew out last season, it was just sort of siliconed in the hole without a bracket, and the local boat repair place (that isn't open for another two days, of course) told me that it could be due to excessive pressure due to the engine still having both PCV valves. Is that a "thing"? I feel like a fish out of water with just enough knowledge to really break something so any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Lisa

First thing i would NOT!!! use that boat until the auto/ma4ine deficiencies are corrected. Not only is it unsafe but also against the law.

You must have a marine carb.

You must have a marine distributor

You must have a marine starter

You must have a marine alternator.

You must have a carburetor flame arrestor.

Those are the legal have to haves!!!

beyond that. Car truck cam probably will be a dog.

If you don't have closed cooling system you need to have brass freeze plugs marine gaskets marine water pump and marine intake manifold.

You or anyone riding with you or at a fuel dock or tied up to you is not safe and could die unless the deficiencies are fixed. If you get stop and inspected you get a nice big ticket.

Sorry if I sound harsh but that is the reality of it.

As for the oil it doesn't matter that much to in comparison to everything else
    1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
    twin 454's
    MV Mar-Y-Sol
    1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
    Twin chevy 350's inboard
    Ben- Jamin
    spokane Washington

Comment

Yup what yachtman said...

She one puts an auto engine in a boat, who know what other illegal parts they've used!

350 auto engine should be underpowered for that boat.

Yank that thing out then sell it, install a proper marine engine in her.
      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
      93 3058 sold
      92 2855 (day boat)
      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
      Longbranch WA
      Life is Good

Comment

"Ruffryder" post=815857 wrote:

350 auto engine should be underpowered for that boat.

Yank that thing out then sell it, install a proper marine engine in her.
        Not necessarily. It really depends on the actual specs of the crate engine. A number of high performance crate engines work very well on boats. Sometimes all is needed is a cam change.
        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
        Anacortes, WA
        Isla Verde, PR

Comment

When it's time to repower,

Should we suggest to get a $1000 auto crate engine with a replaced CAM then just put it in?

It is a lot more than just a cam change...

Almost all internal parts are different .

Agree, some high performance crate engine could be close.
          Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
          Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
          93 3058 sold
          92 2855 (day boat)
          91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
          Longbranch WA
          Life is Good

Comment

In the hot rod and high performance car industry the term crate engine is definitely not a $1000 engine. The term refers to a high performance engine. These come in many stages of tune and are available from GM, as well as a number of aftermarket suppliers.

Here are some examples:

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...EG8A&gclsrc=ds

http://www.jegs.com/c/Engines-Compon...FQOUfgodrDwMSg
            Anacortes, WA
            Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Everything (bolt on stuff) was swapped over from (what I assume) was the original engine and it has been running successfully like this for a couple of decades as the original engine was replaced in the mid 80s. I completely understand your concern, I would rather not have it burst into flames, etc. Like said before, this is exactly why I am asking, boats are different so any help/advice/warnings are greatly appreciated. So thanks!

As to it's performance, it's a big doggier than what I expected somewhere around 10 knots. I just want it as good as I can possibly be while keeping the engine in the boat most of the way. I also need to know about crossover things like oil grade, etc. I would like to become more knowledgeable so I can eventually bring it back to how it should be. It previous owners were not concerned with such things. It is an older boat and they just wanted to use it until they couldn't anymore, I'm not of that mindset.

Comment

Years ago my neighbor used car engines kept blowing them up
                1988 flybridge trophy bayliner 2556 ,mercury 5.7 lit. OMC cobra out drive 76 hrs. on new package,
                located in ketchikan ak,name DOMINION

Comment

Car and truck, 2 very different engines.
                  Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

True ,still not a marine engine and not designed for constant rpm
                    1988 flybridge trophy bayliner 2556 ,mercury 5.7 lit. OMC cobra out drive 76 hrs. on new package,

Comment

True ,still I would not use either in a boat

Comment

There's nothing magical about a marine engine. Depending on the engine model itself it may be very similar or quite different than its car or truck cousin. For example, most marine Ford 460s had the same rotating assemblies, pistons, and blocks as the truck Ford 460. The rotating assemblies in many marine small block Chevy engines in the mid to late eighties were the same as those on the 3/4 ton truck and van small block.

You just need to do some research to understand the required engine build.
                        Anacortes, WA
                        Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Sorry ,Didn't think I would get beat up for my opinion

Comment

"desuch" post=815919 wrote:
                            Sorry ,Didn't think I would get beat up for my opinion
                            I'm sorry that you feel beat up. I'm just expressing facts.
                            Anacortes, WA
                            Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Welcome to the board Badlisa. If you were looking for opinions, you certainly asked the right question.:P Way to make an entrance.
                              Bryan
                              1997 2858 7.4 B2
                              1992 Hewescraft
                              Puyallup, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X