thermostat screws-gctid815414

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thermostat screws-gctid815414

I have a 1993 force 150 hp engine on my trophy I can't get the screws out of the thermostat cover they are frozen tried everything heat pen oil you name it what can I do to get them out don't know why they didn't use bolts

You don't mention if they've been in fresh, or salt water. If you have a "mini" torch, you can try and heat them. Leave the penetrating oil on for a couple of days before trying this and reapply liberally. Using the stoutest screwdriver that'll fit the screw heads, give the screwdriver a couple of good raps with a hammer. This may help to dislodge the threads a bit. If all else fails you can drill out the screw heads, remove the thermostat cover and thermostat, reapply the penetrating oil, let it sit overnight, and then try and remove the screw base with Visegrips. Those screws have likely been in there for many years and may not want to release. If you have no luck, file or grind the screw head flat, centre punch the middle of the core and carefully drill the centre of the screw out. Then use an ezy-out to try and remove the rest of it. Eventually you should have success. Good luck.
    Bob Hawes.
    Kelowna, B.C.
    1998 Trophy 2052 WA
    4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

As per Bob said just take it one step at a time don't rush an you will win

Comment

Working...
      X