Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bravo 2 bellows leak-gctid815346

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Bravo 2 bellows leak-gctid815346

    I recently completed an overhaul of my bravo 2 outdrive. This included new bellows, gimbal bearing, gimbal bearing seal and a seal kit to refit the leg. A couple of weeks after launch I found water leaking through the new oil seal. I had the boat lifted and removed the leg to find the bellows full of water. I had expected to see a problem with the bellows but I could not fault them in any way. It seamed as though the leak was more likely to be between the leg and the gimbal housing. Does anybody know what forms the water seal within this interface. On the port side of the leg the is an indent in the face of the casting beyond which is a void that had evidence of silt. This void is adjacent to the tapered part of the leg that fits into the gimbal housing. I had expected the water seal for the bellows to be at the end of this tapered section where it meets the rubber part of the bellows. However when I measured it I found that it stops short of the bellows and retaining ring. The face of the leg/gombalbhousing has no gasket just o rings for the oil feed, gear shift and water intake. On the internet I have watched the legs fitted dry without any sealant so I am confused as to what forms the water seal. I hope that all makes sense! Any help much appreciated. Cheers Tim

    #2
    See if the boot is 6 inches long!

    Are you using Mercruiser/quick silver bellows adhesive?
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

    Comment


      #3
      You did not install the u joint bellow into the bell housing completely. Sounds like you were only in the first groove, there is a second groove. The leg does make contact with the aft edge of the u joint bellow to form the seal on a bravo.
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556
      Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

      Comment


        #4
        Hi Guys,

        Thanks for your quick responses.

        That makes complete sense now!

        Off down to the boatyard.

        Cheers

        Tim

        Comment


          #5
          When reinstalling use grease on all the o rings and slather the inside portion of the bell housing with it. On the o rings it'll help hold them in place during reassembly, in the bell housing (where the leg seats) it'll help keep corrosion from forming.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556
          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

          Comment


            #6
            One trick I learned is to spray the double groove in the driveshaft bellows with Quicksilver Power Tune right before the installation, makes it incredibly slick and pliable for a couple of minutes, then evaporates completely.

            Was recommended by an old mechanic, not sure if it was ever approved by the manufacturer, but it works for me.
            Alex
            1997 2859, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II
            1993 2452, 5.7 Bravo II - SOLD

            Comment


              #7
              Thanks everybody for the feedback. Reinstalled the bellows as advised and has been leak free since. And we've had some great fishing!

              Comment

              Working...
              X