Trailer Bearings-gctid814980

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer Bearings-gctid814980

I have a 2010 bowrider 185 that I bought new. When I purchased the boat I asked for bearing buddies but the mechanic said this trailer did not require them and that they would not help. What do I need to do to be assured I have no problems? is there a grease fitting, do I need to grease them or not?

"Brett2010" post=814980 wrote:
    I have a 2010 bowrider 185 that I bought new. When I purchased the boat I asked for bearing buddies but the mechanic said this trailer did not require them and that they would not help. What do I need to do to be assured I have no problems? is there a grease fitting, do I need to grease them or not?
    [color]blue wrote:
    There is a misconception regarding Bearing Buddies in that when using them, owners think that they are actually adding new grease to the bearings. This is not so!

A Bearing Buddy only pressurizes the hub so that when quenched in water (at the boat launch), temperature drop contration does not cause water to be pulled in.

We will likely not be seeing Bearing Buddies quite as often these days, and thank goodness for that!

Most manufacturers these days are going to the Sure Lube, EZ Lube and/or Super-Lube style spindles. These units actually add new grease to the bearing roller cage.

If you have these, make sure that you raise the wheel off the ground and spin it while adding new grease. [/color]

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Check the bearing hub. Is it marked KNOTT Waterproof? If so it is supposed to be waterproof for life (life of what?). It is not to be taken apart to inspect for grease. Ask me how I know.

Comment

"2850Bounty" post=814990 wrote:
        [color]blue wrote:
        There is a misconception regarding Bearing Buddies in that when using them, owners think that they are actually adding new grease to the bearings. This is not so!

A Bearing Buddy only pressurizes the hub so that when quenched in water (at the boat launch), temperature drop contration does not cause water to be pulled in.

We will likely not be seeing Bearing Buddies quite as often these days, and thank goodness for that!

Most manufacturers these days are going to the Sure Lube, EZ Lube and/or Super-Lube style spindles. These units actually add new grease to the bearing roller cage.

If you have these, make sure that you raise the wheel off the ground and spin it while adding new grease. [/color]
        To use a BB correctly means when first installing them user needs to replace bearings and seals unless they are new. New bearings must also be greased first and hubs full of grease. Then install the BB and add grease until you see the face move outward a little bit. This ensures the hub is completely full. When greasing the BB after every trip etc., only add grease till you see face move again. Or you can push side to side on the face, and if it moves slightly is is full.

People who grease them too much and face is all the way out risk blowing the outer seal (even tho the BB is suppose to regulate pressure to 3 psi). When the bearings heat up it creates more pressure in the hub.

When you grease the BB, it pushes grease thru the outer bearing and into the hub.

Now my experience and this is with my 1997 Trophy 2002WA with single axle trailer which is about 3000 lbs:

I bought my 1997 boat in 2007 and it had BBs. It also had one blown rear seal on one hub. I did not replace the bearings or seals until just 3 years ago when I did a lot of trailer work on mine. When I lived in FL, I pulled boat about 120 mi round trip at least once a week to the coast. NEVER had an issue! Pulled boat to where I live now 400+ miles, pulled boat back to FL and Gulf Coast, 300+ miles a few times for fishing, still NEVER had an issue.

When I replaced bearings/seals 3 years ago, the bearings had barely if any wear, EVEN on the wheel that had the blown rear seal!

So they WORK FINE, as long as you add grease every so often as stated on their installation documents and DO NOT over grease the BB.

Now I will agree, if you just slap on some BBs without replacing bearings/seals first, you are possibly just band-aiding whatever condition your bearings are in, and then yes you could experience problems.

There are tons of posts about these BBs not working and the same amount of ppl who love them (me included). I say if you just put them on and expect ALL to be great without what is suggested by the manuf., then to each their own.

Comment

With BBs you probably still should at least pull the buddy off annually and look at the grease. If it's discolored at all from water just bite the bullet and pull n pack the set including a new seal. Maby somebody has found a way to reuse a seal but I never pulled it off undistorted enough to reuse dunking regularly. Don't settle for single lipped seals either! Get double lipped. Those cheap bearing packing tools take a lot of the misery of the annual bearing mess.

Comment

I too have had BB on 3 of my 4 trailers and have had no problems at all with the bearings on these trailers!

Just do as others have said and grease before each trip!

Don
            1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
            1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
            1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
            10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
            1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
            "Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Comment

Bearing buddies do have a reserve amount of grease in them, that is why they are spring loaded.

When installing them I always install new bearings and seals if needed or just clean and new seals, grease the bearings then install the bearing buddies and pump more grease into the grease zerk until just before the spring is fully compressed, no more.

If used often, I clean or replace the bearings once a year, I put 10,000 miles a year on my small cargo trailer once a year-3000 lb axels.
              Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
              Twin 350 GM power
              Located in Seward, AK
              Retired marine surveyor

Comment

"Brett2010" post=814980 wrote:
                .........When I purchased the boat I asked for bearing buddies but the mechanic said this trailer did not require them and that they would not help. What do I need to do to be assured I have no problems? is there a grease fitting, do I need to grease them or not?
                If you have the EZ lube type spindles, BB's don't do anything for that system. Check the hub dust cover for a rubber plug. Pull the plug and look for a nipple to apply the grease.

Here's an example of the EZ lube system.....simple and it works.

https://www.dexteraxle.com/resources...-z-lube-system
                Merc 4.5L MPI, Alpha drive

Comment

Again, BB do nothing to lube the roller cages.

If you think that you are greasing the bearings with BBs, you are mistaken .
                  Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                  Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                  Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I sold trailer Dexter trailer axles, seals and bearings of many brands in my 30+ years in an automotive machine shop and parts facility.

1. Bearing buddies only put a slight amount of residual pressure in the hub to keep out water, DO NOT OVER PUMP GREASE Ito these, it could go directly into the brake assemblies,if the seals are not good.

2. ONLY USE DOUBLE LIP SEALS with these with a garter spring on the inner lip.

3. Dexter EZ Lube is perfect way of greasing bearings, you can tell EZ Lube by removing the rubber plug in the hub cap and there will be a grease zerk in the end of the actual axle, when pumping grease into zerk grease goes through spindle and out between inner seal and the inner bearing then through outer bearing towards the end of spindle (perfect).....!!!!

4. Only use double lip seals with garter spring on the inner lip to keep grease out of brake assemblies, that is so that when towing my 85 2550 Cierra with the Land Cruiser IT WILL STOP STRAIGHT!!!!!!!
                    2550 Cierra, AQ260 Volvo Penta (350 Chevy)
                    Laporte, CO

Comment

Working...
                    X