HELP!! OMC ESA problem need the professionals-gctid814875

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!! OMC ESA problem need the professionals-gctid814875

I have a 1989 bayliner 2455 cruiser. I just bought it and im working the bugs out before i take it to the lake. The next problem i have is the ESA. Before i start getting the random comments about it's the shift cable or replace the ESA let me tell you what i do know. 

On the muffs in the driveway it goes in and out of gear just fine but it doesn't stumble in the driveway. I assume that is because the linkage needs the pressure of being in the water in gear and its malfunctioning. However, while running when i engage the micro switch manually it doesn't stumble like it should. So while running i decided to unplug the micro switches and jump the two wires going to the ESA. It sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. My understanding is the ESA is either good or bad nothing in between. After unplugging the micro switches and plugging it back up i got it to work and used the micro switch to test the stumble and it worked. Shut the engine off and tried it again and it stopped working again. I thought maybe ground so i took off the ground and cleaned it but that wasn't it. When it works it seems to work pretty consistent until i shut it off. What is the next thing to test? I'm thinking i need to test 12 volts to the Esa while it is either working or not working and see if the 12 volts is working or not respectively. I think i need to also test the wire to the coil but can only do that from the connector to the coil. The wiring looks to be in good condition so i doubt ill find a bad wire. 

Can anyone tell me what else could cause this? It seems if the ESA was bad it wouldn't intermittently work.

I have a 5.7 lit. Cobra drive And I never could get it working correctly and sometimes it did not work at all shifted great on the trailer but totaly different story in the water under a load replaced everything still not right

So I know I will get beat up for saying this but here goes after getting the engine to idle below 600 hundred rpms I found there was no need for the esa electronics, shafts smoothly in and out of gear one must pause so idle will come down now I have removed all the electronic hardware because I don't see a need for it ,and yes I know the cost of an outdrive because I just bought one, I did install a digital tach. So I can watch rpm come down for shifting
    1988 flybridge trophy bayliner 2556 ,mercury 5.7 lit. OMC cobra out drive 76 hrs. on new package,
    located in ketchikan ak,name DOMINION

Comment

Check your point and condenser they will affect the ESA.

Comment

Welcome aboard !

Give this a read :

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...ersion-to-merc

Say you don't want the engine wired like a merc or not give this a read best write up on the planet concerning your drive adjustment etc :

http://www.hastings.org/%7Estuart/cobra/kw-shift.html

Now some questions for you OP.

The dizzy is stock ? In other words was a upgrade installed elec. dizzy upgrade maybe ? If yes, a upgraded esa module should have been installed. ( Hint ) the module will have one plug the overstroke micro would be cut or left dangling Understand so far ?

What is the engine idle on a warm engine in the water ? 550-650 no more.

The engine is healthy, good compression ?

The less you can get the engine to idle at the better when you shift.

About shifting, no easing into and out of gear. You shift fast, don't try easing in and out thinking your saving something.

The esa only helps coming out of gear, not going into gear. Still with me ?

Never saw a Omc Cobra, or stringer drive esa module live past 20 years before going ... Now allow me to explain, see i know this setup.

When the esa module goes or is about to go it will do all kinds of crazy stuff to your engine. The module may not allow the engine to go over 2500 rpm, cut out the engine at the worst time etc. Recommended the wire it like the merc setup i put up in the first link.

Post back !
        Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

I just sent the boat over to the mechanic to get a seal replaced in the lower unit. As far as the idle goes it's really hard to tell where the idle is set. It has the weird star wars ending style gauges....lol. it shows about 800 rpm but it sounds more like 600. it can go lower ill try that. Ill look to see if its got points or not as well but can anyone tell me how the points will affect the ESA? What size feeler gauge should i set it to. Ill buy anther set since they are cheap.

Wiring it like a merc is a last resort and temporary in my opinion. I know OMC decided not to use that method because it wasn't reliable. I don't wnt to die coming into a dock. Id rather have the ESA if i can help it but you can bet your bottom dollar i will try it until i can get the ESA fixed. I'm hoping to take it to the lake for the 4th. I realize this is a bad time to try it out for it's maiden voyage but hey there shoyld be plenty of boats around to pull me home if needed.

Comment

We can agree to disagree concerning the esa module ... I see the module as unnecessary, the over stroke micro unnecessary, OMC is out of business, Mercruiser is alive and well.

Hope it works out for you !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

"@[email protected]" post=814937 wrote:
              I just sent the boat over to the mechanic to get a seal replaced in the lower unit. As far as the idle goes it's really hard to tell where the idle is set. It has the weird star wars ending style gauges....lol. it shows about 800 rpm but it sounds more like 600. it can go lower ill try that. Ill look to see if its got points or not as well but can anyone tell me how the points will affect the ESA? What size feeler gauge should i set it to. Ill buy anther set since they are cheap.

Wiring it like a merc is a last resort and temporary in my opinion. I know OMC decided not to use that method because it wasn't reliable. I don't wnt to die coming into a dock. Id rather have the ESA if i can help it but you can bet your bottom dollar i will try it until i can get the ESA fixed. I'm hoping to take it to the lake for the 4th. I realize this is a bad time to try it out for it's maiden voyage but hey there shoyld be plenty of boats around to pull me home if needed.
              I've had OMCs set up both ways: electronic ignition with the appropriate ESA module, and electronic ignition with a Mercruiser type setup. In my experience the issue with docking has nothing to do with the system used to cut back engine power. It has more to do with switches mis-rigged or switches that are sticking. Also, it has to do with the way one shifts. If you shift quickly from being in gear to neutral, wait a bit and shift quickly into gear, it works fine. I never had an engine die while docking with either setup.
              1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
              2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
              Anacortes, WA
              Isla Verde, PR

Comment

i agree with cheif Alen on the esa module and over stroke once i got my engine running good (i needed a different coil merccruiser and a different carb. there was no need for that stuff and it really shifts easily in and out of gear but it didn't when (i think that was the reason the forward gear went out of the drive unit) i first bought it,i also installed new shifting cables
                1988 flybridge trophy bayliner 2556 ,mercury 5.7 lit. OMC cobra out drive 76 hrs. on new package,

Comment

"@[email protected]" post=814937 wrote:
                  I just sent the boat over to the mechanic to get a seal replaced in the lower unit. As far as the idle goes it's really hard to tell where the idle is set. It has the weird star wars ending style gauges....lol. it shows about 800 rpm but it sounds more like 600. it can go lower ill try that. [color]red wrote:
                  Ill look to see if its got points or not as well but can anyone tell me how the points will affect the ESA?[/color] What size feeler gauge should i set it to. Ill buy anther set since they are cheap.

[attachment]38390 wrote:
                  ScreenHunter_141 Jun. 26 18.42.jpg[/attachment] The complete information can be found http://baylinerownersclub.ca/all-art...e: <br /> here

Attached files

Comment

remove statement

Comment

"desuch" post=815109 wrote:
                      went to electronic ignition got it to idle below six hundred removed all the switches don't need them
                      I would not delete the switches, whether using an ESA or a Mercruiser type setup. You risk damaging the dogs on the clutches as you shift.
                      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                      Anacortes, WA
                      Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Bob that document convinces me. I will change out the points. If it has them. If someone swapped the points for electronic ignition that will explain the problem but I'm betting on points. The only thing i need now is how to adjust the new points?

Using the shift cable adjustment procedure provided can i adjust these without special tools?

Comment

"@[email protected]" post=815150 wrote:
                          Bob that document convinces me. I will change out the points. If it has them. If someone swapped the points for electronic ignition that will explain the problem but I'm betting on points. The only thing i need now is how to adjust the new points?

Using the shift cable adjustment procedure provided can i adjust these without special tools?
                          You can if you follow the series of 4 articles. You can also buy the tools for about $35.00 the details and links are http://baylinerownersclub.ca/all-art...e: <br /> Here

Comment

Ok what I can add to this:

I had a similar issue a few years back, either no stumble or the switches sticking on. So following logic I replaced the switches; now no sticking but intermittent no stumbling . Checked ground and connections all OK. Finally ESA refused to stumble at all. So I replaced it with one from CDI electronics and it worked fine again with the new switches. So I guess they can have intermittent failures and then just quit working.....
                            88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
                            98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
                            07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

+1 Totally agree.

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Working...
                              X