EXHAUST FLAPPER SHUTTER VALVE SEAL-gctid814872

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXHAUST FLAPPER SHUTTER VALVE SEAL-gctid814872

So. After experiencing some technical difficulties this weekend..being that my son hit a tree stump,or something, then the entire electrical system went dead,(found out later, the negative cable came dislodged from the motor) we then started taking on water at an alarming rate in the bilge. Had no power, we had NO bilge pump.This in itself was a terrifying experience. Finally got a tow back to the docks got her home and I'm still not sure where the water was coming in from because we looked really hard at the underneath side and only found a scrape on the keel,but it did look like the stump may have hit the lower unit as the trim was raised from down to about 3-4" up when we pulled her out of the water. Wondering if the force of the stump may have separated the transom mounts enough to leak? And yes, we were still taking on water after the engine shut off.

Anyway,after further inspection of the exhaust pipe off the riser on the driver side I found a hole in the lower rubber boot where a clamp goes around. Took it off and realized that the shutter valve was in pieces had had been for some time. I am replacing both of the boots but was wondering if these shutter valve seals are really necessary.

What drive. what year, what engine ?
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Hitting an immovable object such as a stump causes a massive shock to the transom assembly. Yes, your transom seal could have been compromised. Yes, the exhaust shutters are nessasary. Try to find all the old pieces that may still be down in the exhaust pipe.
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556
      Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Working...
      X