Broke my skeg!-gctid398406

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broke my skeg!-gctid398406

It was the end of the day and the wifey wanted to go out a little longer. Cruising a long and bam bam. The boat did not come to a complete stop and as soon as I heard the noise I immediately slowed the boat down to neutral and raised the trim to the very top. We are fairly new to boating so I had a few questions for some of the vets. (I'm posting a pic below)After limping back to the dock and getting it trailed, it turns out that I completely broke off the skeg and destroyed the prop. I understand that the skeg being broken and the prop being bent up and a chunk missing is a problem but I wanted to make sure and still ask the questions I have.1) On the way back to the dock I increased the throttle a little bit and it started vibrating horribly. This is mostly because of the turbulent water coming from the bent and broken prop and skeg, correct? I just want to make sure it couldn't be anything else that I should look for.2) I was thinking about just putting a skeggard on the broken off skeg and then just buying a new prop. Does anyone have experience with the broken skeg thing?My boat is a 2011 Bayliner 195 (When I made my user name we ere going to get a 185) w/ 4.3 Mercruiser.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or just your thoughts and comments.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/702093=29494-photo.jpg[/img]

With that hard a hit, you MAY have also bent the prop shaft.

The skeg gone is no biggie, other than it protects the prop from light hits, so it's nice to have.

Anyway, pull the old prop and take it in to have the prop shaft runout measured. It shouldn't cost much to check it, then you have a better feeling about slapping on another prop and finding another rock ha ha!

Also, check for hairline cracks along the lower section of the drive. If there are any, then you may have to go further into the repair.

Chay

Comment

The vibration would have come from the unbalanced prop most likely. Ya went from 3 to 2 blades.
      Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

+1..

as suggested pull the damaged prop and set up a rig yourself or have a shop check the run out on that prop shaft. As far as the skeggard they work great.

This exact same thing happened to our 18 foot silverline open bow with black max 150. Up on plane I was standing between the wind shields drying my shorts after skiing while on the way back to the dock. Boat stopped so fast I about got ejected out the open bow. The out board came clear out of the water and over rev'd briefly before landing back in the water. It was a sight to see.

Inspect the lower and the gimbal closely for any damage.

Brandon

Comment

Welcome to the club:sorrow:

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...-it-even-began

Don't know how fast you were going at the time, we were going pretty slow, so we luckily didn't get as much damage as you did - sometimes it just looks worse than it is. New prop isn't too bad, as long as your shaft is still straight. The rest is just cosmetics.

Good luck getting it repaired quickly and getting you back out on the water ASAP!

Comment

Pull the lower unit and send it to the Prop Shop along with the propeller.

These companies do skeg repair as well as prop repair, and they'll have the correct material and TIG welding abilities.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Do your self a favor.... if you don't have a depth finder get one with an alarm. If you have one set the depth alarm at about 8 to 10 feet. Then when things get shallow the alrm will sound and you will lnow when to be aware. It doesnt work for every one nut it works for me.
              1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
              twin 454's
              MV Mar-Y-Sol
              1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
              Twin chevy 350's inboard
              Ben- Jamin
              spokane Washington

Comment

NC185BR wrote:
                It was the end of the day and the wifey wanted to go out a little longer. Cruising a long and bam bam. The boat did not come to a complete stop and as soon as I heard the noise I immediately slowed the boat down to neutral and raised the trim to the very top. We are fairly new to boating so I had a few questions for some of the vets. (I'm posting a pic below)After limping back to the dock and getting it trailed, it turns out that I completely broke off the skeg and destroyed the prop. I understand that the skeg being broken and the prop being bent up and a chunk missing is a problem but I wanted to make sure and still ask the questions I have.1) On the way back to the dock I increased the throttle a little bit and it started vibrating horribly. This is mostly because of the turbulent water coming from the bent and broken prop and skeg, correct? I just want to make sure it couldn't be anything else that I should look for.2) I was thinking about just putting a skeggard on the broken off skeg and then just buying a new prop. Does anyone have experience with the broken skeg thing?My boat is a 2011 Bayliner 195 (When I made my user name we ere going to get a 185) w/ 4.3 Mercruiser.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or just your thoughts and comments.

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]
                If your boat is in your driveway go outside shift into neutral and spin prop. Focus your eyes on the prop nut. If the prop nut appears to spin with a wobble you got a bent prop shaft. If that's the case call your insurance co.
                Port: Sassafras River Georgetown, MD Bayliner 2000 2855 7.4

http://www.chart.state.md.us/video/v...50fa36c4235c0a

Comment

Any idea what you hit?

Comment

Alaskanmutt wrote:
                    The vibration would have come from the unbalanced prop most likely...
                    +1

Comment

Mine looked like that when I bought it.

I bought one of those shiny stainless steel ones from ebay from this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panther-Safe...item5d3331cc4e

It took 15 minutes to install and now my boat has bling.

And I've done that to my prop many times in the rocky lakes in Arizona. Stick with aluminum props, they are cheaper and transfer less force to the outdrive than a stainless one would during an oopsie.

Comment

$97.80 for a temporay fix?

I'll bet that a prop shop can make a correct repair for about the same money.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

yachtman wrote:
                          Do your self a favor.... if you don't have a depth finder get one with an alarm. If you have one set the depth alarm at about 8 to 10 feet. Then when things get shallow the alrm will sound and you will lnow when to be aware. It doesnt work for every one nut it works for me.
                          I do have a depth finder installed from factory. It was supposed to alarm around 8 feet. Even when we were going nice and slow (barely moving) it was reading 6 feet, but when we put a pull for the light in the water it couldn't have been deeper than 2 feet.

Bay-185 wrote:
                          Any idea what you hit?
                          No idea. I believe it was a rock or a log. I had noticed the water was a lot lower than usual and I didn't think that if we go up near the power lines (away from the dam) that it would be a problem. Expensive mistake...

2850Bounty wrote:
                          Pull the lower unit and send it to the Prop Shop along with the propeller.

These companies do skeg repair as well as prop repair, and they'll have the correct material and TIG welding abilities.

I'll do some calling around and get some prices at some prop shops. I'm just hoping that the prop shaft is not bent like cfoss explained. *fingers crossed*

Comment

i see your in cary,i live in holly springs.were you out at harris lake.you said power lines and a damn just figuring.if you were at harris i can see very easily how this could have happened.we beached ourselves last time we went out there and the previous weekend i was at that same spot and it was no problems.we were a good 30-40 feet from the shore its getting pretty low.i def need a depth finder.hope you get everything fixed.we should meet up on the water sometime

Comment

That's a lot of damage to assume you haven't bent a shaft. I'd send the lower into a prop shop and let them repair it right. Also, that skeg does more that look pretty. It helps with over-steer and stability at speed. It sucks that it happened, but fix it right.

Use the down time to install a depth gauge with an alarm.
                              Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Working...
                              X