3055 battery setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3055 battery setup

I have a 2002 3055 I just purchased this week. It has the factory battery setup with 1 starting battery for each engine and a 4 way switch for each engine. I plan on spending some weekends on the hook and want to be able to have enough battery power to last me. What type of setup should I use? What batteries should I use for the house bank? What other equipment will i need to completely do the setup? Also need a basic description on how to go about the install. Any advice and information would be appreciated. Thanks .
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 07-11-2019, 10:03 PM.

In my opinion, Bayliner, and/or their dealers, have never done a very good job at installing battery banks and the necessary switching devices.

Here are several simple and good options for a twin engine boat that is around 30 feet or so.

Attached files

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Not even close to having enough.

I recommend L16s, or 6V golf cart Batteries for the house bank.

I have 1 starting battery for each engine and L16s house bank, 3 Main Battery SWITCHES for each bank.
      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
      93 3058 sold
      92 2855 (day boat)
      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
      Longbranch WA
      Life is Good

Comment

Like you I have 1 starting for each engine and I have a house bank. However, I have 1 switch for the starting bank and 1 for the house bank and I also have a cross over. 1998/99 3055.
        Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
        1998 3055 Ciera
        (yes, a 1998)
        Previous boat: 1993 3055
        Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
        Sea Doo XP
        Sea Doo GTI SE
        Life is short. Boats are cool.
        The family that plays together stays together.
        Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

On my 3870 I have 1 MBSS labeled "Starter Battery", 1 MBSS labeled "House Bank" and 1 switch labeled "Jumper". I think the "jumper" is the same as the crossover. I have 1 8-D for the starter and 4 golf cart deep cycle batteries for the house bank. So far this is working great.
          Just love being on my 3870............Bill
          1985 3870
          Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
          Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
          Live on board full time.
          North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

When I purchased my 3055 in 1999 I had the dealership add two additional batteries for that specific reason. I spent many weekends on the hook with that setup and never had a battery problem. For the record all 4 of my batteries were deep cycle.
            Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
            West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Comment

Reading with interest . . . .. our "new" Avanti 3685 has one weird setup (IMHO) . . . main switches for port batt and one for starbd batt . . . yep, that's it. Doesn't seem right to me at all . . . . but I guess it works and they did it for quite a while. I'm thinking that this is "this coming winter's project" for me. . . . no house bank at all from what I can tell but have to move her out of NJ next weekend (by the 1st of July) so am trying to get all the electronics done and operational first. Thanks, Rick for the schematics . . . they help a lot.

Question though: Any major reason that one good battery (or combination of batteries but on just one MBSS) couldn't start both engines? (assuming that you still have the "combining" option available, for safety's sake and because Murphy is alive and well in our house too) . . . just don't start both at the same time, I'd imagine would be the first rule . . . . thoughts?

Also, if you already have the 7622ML in place, then you have an "all-combine" feature already, right? . . . on the switch . .
              1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - for sale - Dredge Harbor, NJ
              Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
              WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
              James H. Stradling

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I need to visit the battery setup on my boat. I have a 1999 Bayliner 3055. The former owner had 2 deep cycle batteries running in parallel that appear to operate as both the starting and house batteries. A 3rd deep cycle battery is connected only to the generator as a starting battery. I replaced all three batteries last year but always thought this was a strange design. Now, I'm running into some electrical issues. When I start my engines, all of the electronics on my dash shut down (They did even after the new batteries). This weekend, I realized the windlass does the same thing when I raise the anchor. Is there a good place to get a wiring schematic for these boats?
                Dan
                1999 Bayliner 3055
                2003 Triumph 150 CC
                2016 Yamaha VX Delux

Comment

Dan, this thread is over 2 years old. It would be best if you were to start a new thread.
                  Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                  Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                  Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                  X