Removing stuck distributor rotor-gctid814449

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing stuck distributor rotor-gctid814449

Hi all. I have a 2007 325 with base 350 carb engines, This is the Thunderbolt ignition system. I bought 2 new distributor caps, rotors and gaskets. The darn rotors are stuck in place. Has anyone had experience with this? I don't want to break anything while accomplishing this seemingly easy job. Thanks, Griff

Glued on.
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Well... Since the internals of the distributor are fairly sensitive too the use of force and you said you had a new rotor, I would recommend you make a tin shield to cover up any heat sensitive items and heat the rotor with a torch too see if it will expand and lift off, if it is glued heat may soften it a bit. Otherwise if you can come up with a way to split it or break it off easily i would go for it. I don't think you need to glue the new one on, it might be better to use a dielectric grease of some kind.
      1990 3888 Bayliner, Twin 351's

Comment

"GearGuts" post=814455 wrote:
        Well... Since the internals of the distributor are fairly sensitive too the use of force and you said you had a new rotor, I would recommend you make a tin shield to cover up any heat sensitive items and heat the rotor with a torch too see if it will expand and lift off, if it is glued heat may soften it a bit. Otherwise if you can come up with a way to split it or break it off easily i would go for it. I don't think you need to glue the new one on, it might be better to use a dielectric grease of some kind.
        That's what I'd do except I'd opt for a heat gun
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556
        Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

They do like to fight. The first time I did mine I had to resort to the book it was on there so tight and it mentioned using a hair dryer or heat gun due to the glue. I managed to hook something onto it and give it some nice sharp taps upwards.

Comment

Forget a heat gun or torch. Get a Dremel and cut it off. That's how I did mine.

Comment

You can usually give them a nice sharp wrap with a ball peen hammer right on the top (dead center). This pop in the downward direction breaks the glue loose. It's just plastic. You can use a pair of channel locks to break the rotor off and then pick up the pieces. Don't be shy. That plastic isn't going to bend that shaft if you reef on it.
              Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

The mercruiser manual shows that the rotor is installed with locktite. I was surprised to see that they wanted loctite for installation. Pain in the ass to get off for sure. I tapped down gently on the top to break the bond then got lucky prying upwards with a couple long screwdrivers. I did reinstall with a couple drops of loctite so I could do this all over again next time!
                Doug
                1995 2859 -extensively rebuilt/restored 2016/17
                496 big block - Bravo ll leg
                The Doghouse
                Prince George BC

Comment

Thanks, everybody, I emailed Mercruiser service and they said the rotor is installed with Loctite. They suggested using a heat gun or pliars and small ball pene hammer. In my case, the heat gun did not help. It was necessary to destroy the rotor to get it out.

Best regards to all, Griff

Comment

Glad you got it off - did they say why they used Loctite? I've never heard of that before - I mean assuming it's in good shape and the button has spring, where can a rotor go once it's inside a distributor cap?

Comment

Manual calls for it.
                      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

I did not use any loctite when I installed my new rotor, so far so good :whistle:
                        Dave
                        Edmonds, WA
                        "THE FIX"
                        '93 2556
                        Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                        Misc. projects thread
                        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I have never heard of needing loctite for a rotor in all the years I've been pulling wrenches either. I just happened to find it in the manual by accident while looking for some other info. Not sure why myself.
                          Doug
                          1995 2859 -extensively rebuilt/restored 2016/17
                          496 big block - Bravo ll leg
                          The Doghouse
                          Prince George BC

Comment

Hi Doug, I too have been spinning wrenches for quite a while. I think it's just a matter of overkill on the part of Mercruiser. A distributor cap and rotor replacement is a simple 2 tenths of an hour job. By adding Loctite, it's easily an hour or more operation. The mess caused by sawing, chiseling, and other drastic methods of rotor destruction, may or may not be cleaned up by the technician. Especially a technician who is paid for flat rate time. This is a classic example of why service and maintenance bills are so high in the boating industry.

Best wishes to all, Griff.

Comment

Working...
                            X