Portable Generator Noise Level-gctid814328

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portable Generator Noise Level-gctid814328

Now, I was reading the other post on portable generators and it turned into a discussion about proper wiring and safety. My question is about noise level. I have a 1000w Champion that I rarely use because I feel like it's noise pollution for other boaters when I'm sitting in a cove somewhere. I've never really heard my generator from a distance before. It's rated at 59 dBA at 23 ft. Slightly louder than the Honda 2000w generator. If my generator is sitting on the bow of the boat, is it putting out significant noise traveling over the water if I run it all afternoon to keep the batteries charged? I think about places like Sidney Spit in the gulf islands, where many boats are moored off or anchored around 250-300 ft apart in most cases.
    2001 Bayliner Ciera 2455 5.7 Merc MPI, Bravo 3
    2009 Subaru WRX STI
    2017 stick with a nail on the end of it

Victoria, BC

Not sure you really want my opinion...but I'll give you an observation I've seen over the years... A lot of times I see them top off the fuel tank,start the generator hop in the dinghy come back hours later.yes they bother me however I under stand the need so I'll have live with it. Remember you asked for it...don't shoot the messanger

Good luck Brad
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    LaConner,Wa. (summer)
    2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
    kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Brad, thanks for the honesty. I only ask because I can't stand hearing generators when I'm off camping at some place where I want peace and quiet. I don't mind them running during the day, but come to the evening, it gets annoying. I figured it's the same among the boating crowd. I prefer to not be "that guy". I just wasn't sure how loud a generator like mine *(or similar) creates and carries noise on the water, especially on a calm summer day with no wind.
      2009 Subaru WRX STI

Victoria, BC

Comment

I have a Champion 3100 with a noise level of 58 dBA at 25 feet. The specks on the Honda 3000 is 48 to 59 dBA. On the Honda I think the 48 dBA is when it is in the econo mode. I am not sure what the dBA is for my Champion 3100 in the econo mode. I would think it would be close to the same. I run mine to two to three hours in the morning and two to three hours in the evening just to keep the batteries charged up. My frige. and TV and a outlet or two are powered from a inverter hooked to the house bank.
        Just love being on my 3870............Bill
        1985 3870
        Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
        Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
        Live on board full time.
        North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

You may want to search google or you tube. I seem to remember someone that came up with an exhaust hose that went into the water to keep the noise down. I don't recall where I saw it but it was a cool way to go.

Comment

Rossi45

We enjoy MONTAGUE and stay their 5 or more days also (on the bouys) so I to am concerned about our noise to.we have replaced or Westerpuke 12 kW with a Northern Lights 7kw and added. Gensep to its exhaust system..5 ft away you can't hear a thing,the dinghy motor makes more noise than it does..... If you see us their stop by and have a cold one with us and if we're alone maby raft over,I've installed a 30amp suckle plug on the port side....;-)
            Brad & Sharon
            Lady Jake
            LaConner,Wa. (summer)
            kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Hey Brad, how does this Gensep work. I found one on Amazon for a little over $300. Is that about right? How easy is it to install? I wonder if it would fit my Champion 3100. Sounds like a great idea/
              Just love being on my 3870............Bill
              1985 3870
              Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
              Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
              Live on board full time.
              North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

Hi Bill

The Gensep separates exhaust air/water...so you need to exhaust the water below water line and exhaust air above,the exhaust output from your Aqua lift muffler goes to the Gensep....this won't work for portable generators.

Good luck Brad
                Brad & Sharon
                Lady Jake
                LaConner,Wa. (summer)
                kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

I'm probably going to use it this weekend as i have a crew coming along for a day on the boat. I'll give it a test and paddle out on the kayak to see how loud it is from a distance.

brad4550. I plan on making a trip or 2 up to Montague this summer. let me know when you're in the area. Cheers.
                  2009 Subaru WRX STI

Victoria, BC

Comment

rossi45

Yes I'll do that,just not sure when we'll be their.
                    Brad & Sharon
                    Lady Jake
                    LaConner,Wa. (summer)
                    kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

"rossi45" post=814530 wrote:
                      I plan on making a trip or 2 up to Montague this summer. let me know when you're in the area. Cheers.
                      I'll be there Saturday July 8th for a little family trip.
                      Sea Venture
                      2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
                      Cruising the PNW and beyond.
                      DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
                      MMSI 316029971

Kirk
                      Drinks well with others.

Comment

We have anchored 150-200 feet from a boat who had a portable on their swim platform. It was like sitting in the backyard while the neighbors mowed their lawn next door. Not too loud, but pleased when they turned it off. (After about 3 hours)

If you don't run yours too early in the morning or too late in the evening, I think you will be fine. Others have to charge their batteries also.
                        1992 3288, twin Hino 150's sold
                        S. Puget Sound

Comment

Here's a thread I started a couple years ago that may be of interest to you.

Generator Etiquette
                          Sea Venture
                          2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
                          Cruising the PNW and beyond.
                          DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
                          MMSI 316029971

Kirk
                          Drinks well with others.

Comment

Working...
                          X