2017 Bayliner VR5 12V plug-gctid814240

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 Bayliner VR5 12V plug-gctid814240

Hi all, I ask for mercy as I am brand new. I just bought a brand new Bayliner VR5 and have put maybe 8 or so engine hours on it thus far (I live in Wisconsin, very bipolar weather) So last Saturday we go to finally break out the tube we bought to pull for my daughter. I also bought a highly rated small 12V air pump so that we could blow it up out on the boat. I plugged her into my 12V outlet, and it ran for literally 1/2 of a second and shut off, and that was it. I ended up blowing that thing up by hand which was no fun, but we had a couple of happy 7 year old girls because of it, so definitely all good. I am ASSUMING maybe I blew a fuse? When we got back home, I plugged it into my trucks 12V outlet and it worked just fine, so not a faulty air pump. I am not at home at the moment, but will my owners manual direct me to the fuse box and inform me which fuse to possibly check for this outlet? Again, I apologize, I am a first time boat owner here and have much to learn! Thank you for any input you might offer!

Check the specs on the air pump. Some are 20 or 30 amp. If the fuse is blown it is under rated for that pump. I installed may own 12v outlet that is attached directly to the Battery switch so it gets turned off when the boat is not in use.
    QuickChek over Wawa
    Taylor Ham not Pork Roll

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
    Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP MPI Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
    Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
    Evinrude 88 Special

Restoring 1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
    1992 Johnson 40HP

40°55'22.9"N 74°39'11.9"W

Comment

I tired a 12v plug in pump, it didn't have enough power. So I went to an "alligator" style clip on pump....worked great about 2 mins to blow up the tubes. But the downside was having to remove the portside stern seat to get at the battery in my 185. I can't stand seeing a boat with the tube already filled up hanging off the stern running around the lakes. I decided to install "remote battery terminals" so that I wouldn't have to pull seats apart to use the batter connections. I installed them below the port stern seat, close to the battery. One of the best mods I have made. Now I don't have to remove any seats, i always have a tube on board, stowed away in case we want to last minute go tubing. The terminals are also great for hooking up to a battery charger/maintainer as well as if I ever need a "jump start"

Attached files

Lake Hartwell, GA
      2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
      1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
      1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
      1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
      1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
      1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
      1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
      1996 SeaDoo GTX
      1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

That's a brilliant idea ^^^^
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Similar thing happened to me on my 175. Plugged in a tire pump, worked for 1/2 a second, then nothing. It was getting dark so I didn't check the fuse yet, assuming it blew.....
          2015 Bayliner 175
          3.0L, Alpha 1
          Paradise, NL, Canada

Comment

For this year I got a new high volume or heavy duty air pump for use with my 2017 VR5 for inflating our towables. It only came with battery clips so imagine my mood when I realized I now needed to completely empty the engine bay storage to gain access to the battery in the back I buried.

So what I did that day on the water was ground to the engine and use the positive terminal on battery On/Off switch.

I have since installed a 25a fuse in spare/empty slot of the fuse holder under the console and connected to it with an RC Deans style connector so I can still use the alligator clips, connect directly to main fuse panel or use a 3s lipo battery from my rc hobby.

Comment

As stated above in my previous post I installed a 12v outlet to run my pump. But I have found that the plug on the pump side that I installed gets hot. So I have decided to replace both the 12v plug and receptacle with a trolling motor plug kit. These seem to be a a heavy duty plug. This are the ones I'm looking at.

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/Produ...ND-RECEPTACLE/

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/p...male-connector
              QuickChek over Wawa
              Taylor Ham not Pork Roll

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
              Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP MPI Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
              Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
              Evinrude 88 Special

Restoring 1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
              1992 Johnson 40HP