Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter removal advice-gctid814143

Hello,

I have a Contessa 2850 with a 5.7 OMC cobra.

I think I have a bad starter solenoid: the starter spins but does not cranks the engine.

I've that issue off and on in the past with the starter. Sometimes it would take 2 or 3 tries for the starter to crank the engine.

I wanted to take the started out and see if the solenoid can be replaced and maybe clean up the starter a bit.

When I looked at it, there is very little clearance to get to the bolts using a ratchet. Looks like a wrench has to be used.

I've never removed a starter before. On paper is looks straight forward, but in the bilged, on 1 knee with little room (I'm 300 lb) it's a little challenging.

Do you have any advice on the best way to proceed to remove it without pulling the engine out?

https://flic.kr/p/VCm1q5

First, if the starter is spinning then the solenoid is not the problem. That's the good news. The bad news is the issue is with what's called the bendix gear. That's the part that, as the starter spins, it rotates out to engage a gear (what I'm going to call the bendix because I don't know another common name that will convey the concept) to the flywheel which then spins the engine. It is relatively common for the bendix to fail over time although they are much better than when I was a kid.

As to removing the starter, first get that bulge pump drain hose out of the way using some bungee cord and you will really improve access. I use a "broken handle" socket wrench and ratchet end end wrenches. The socket wrench is a 3/8 drive with a long handle where the head rotates 180 degrees with detente at 90, 45, straight 45, and 90. I sometimes have to use a bit of tape to keep the head where I want it, but then, it's over 30 years old and seen lots of use. Disconnect the battery first. Once I have the two starter bolts out, move it forward and away from the engine to disconnect the wires. Reverse the process to get it back together. You will want a magnet on a stick to get the bolts and tools that are guaranteed to end up under the engine.

You have the choice of replacing the whole starter or just the bendix. Looking at the picture, good on ya for that, I'd either rebuild or replace the whole unit. Your engine is just a small block chev, but go to one of the sites that have the parts lookup microfiche to establish your correct starter. There are some variations like rotation which yours is no doubt a standard one, but also flywheel size. I've found good units on Amazon at very good prices and since we have Prime, fast delivery in most instances. If you have an Automotive Electric shop near you they can rebuild yours and you will be good to go. However, most of the parts stores are not going to have a marine starter. You really want a marine starter, and alternator for that matter, because of the spark prevention features built into the units. Yes, it does matter.

You very well may end up with some heavy padding, like a couple of layers of those garage floor foam mats, across the top of the engine so you can lay across it. Just put down some plastic to keep the stray stuff off the top of the motor.

Last, choose the cool of the day. Not a fun time when it's hot and humid.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

yannickevenas wrote: Hello,

I have a Contessa 2850 with a 5.7 OMC cobra.

I think I have a bad starter solenoid: the starter spins but does not cranks the engine.

I've that issue off and on in the past with the starter. Sometimes it would take 2 or 3 tries for the starter to crank the engine. I wanted to take the started out and see if the solenoid can be replaced and maybe clean up the starter a bit.

Let's first be clear that this engine is not fitted with a Bendix Drive starter motor!

Please post back if by some chance it is!

OK......assuming that you have a Delco, Non-Bendix style starter motor........ if the starter motor "spins" (as you say), the solenoid is working.

What may not be working, may be:

....... the kick-out lever that the solenoid uses to throw the pinion gear into the flywheel ring gear.

....... the ring gear itself may be missing several teeth.

....... the spraque clutch on the starter motor pintion gear may be bad.

When I looked at it, there is very little clearance to get to the bolts using a ratchet. Looks like a wrench has to be used.

I've never removed a starter before. On paper is looks straight forward, but in the bilged, on 1 knee with little room (I'm 300 lb) it's a little challenging.

Do you have any advice on the best way to proceed to remove it without pulling the engine out?

Six point end wrench or six point socket ONLY.

Warm the engine up prior to attempting to crack the bolts.

Finish the job once things cool back down.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks for the 6 point wrench tip.

Looks like if I can get it out, I will be replacing it.

This looks like a compatible replacement according to them: https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...00-marine.html

Comment

You might want to consider a thin walled socket.

Disconnect the battery first.

Some have removed the manifold to make it easier.
          Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

That's the same starter I purchased (from DB) for my 5.7 SBC. it works great and does come with new bolts. Give it a good wipe down with a degreaser/cleaning solvent and paint it prior to installing to reduce any surface corrosion.
            Dave
            Edmonds, WA
            "THE FIX"
            '93 2556
            Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
            Misc. projects thread
            https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I bought my last starter from DB electrical too. Works great after a couple years. They have the cheapest rates for starters anywhere.

I did the same thing. Cleaned it down and then painted with rust paint before I installed.
              2001 Bayliner Ciera 2455 5.7 Merc MPI, Bravo 3
              2009 Subaru WRX STI
              2017 stick with a nail on the end of it

Victoria, BC

Comment

Working...
              X