Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portable Generator issue.-gctid813823

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Portable Generator issue.-gctid813823

    I've been using a Honda 2000 for a few years on my old boat (2455). I'm out on my first trip on the hook. I fired up the gen and the Admiral tried using the electric kettle and the gen kicked out.

    Thie new boat has a zantrex 2000 watt combo inverter with battery charger. The problem is the battery charger is charging at a high rate and I'm unable to use some high load devices. Is there a way to turn off the battery charger or inverter until I'm finished using the high load devices ?
    1992 4588
    WitchWay

    Seadoo Wake 170

    #2
    I have a diffrent brand of inverter, but it has a remote control box that allows me to adjust settings. From the remote control box I can turn the rate of charge up or down as needed, which increases or decreases the load on my Honda 2000. I generally turn it up when nobody is around and I'm off the boat, but turn it down when others are around or we want it quieter.
    Yellowknife, NT. Canada
    2002 cierra 3055
    twin 350 mags mpi FWC w/B2

    Comment


      #3
      You should be able to turn the charger side off. I have a 2500 with a remote panel that allows me to choose if I want it charging or inverting. Assuming you are plugging in your shore power cable to the Honda, depending on how the inverter was installed, you should be able to turn the unit off by turning off the charger switch at the ac panel. You are also shutting down the other big draw items like the hot water tank, right? That's usually what I did wrong.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

      Comment


        #4
        "joe440" post=813823 wrote:
        I'm out on my first trip on the hook.
        Where'd you go Joe.
        Sea Venture
        2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
        Cruising the PNW and beyond.
        DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
        MMSI 316029971

        Kirk
        Drinks well with others.

        Comment


          #5
          "SprinterX" post=813852 wrote:
          "joe440" post=813823 wrote:
          I'm out on my first trip on the hook.
          Where'd you go Joe.
          Hi Kirk

          With the big wind we decided to go to Pitt Lake
          1992 4588
          WitchWay

          Seadoo Wake 170

          Comment


            #6
            mu remote panel doesn't allow me to change settings. I'm going to read the manual and see what I can find.

            My generator is plugged into the shore power.

            All breakers off including the mains the generator runs without load, when I only turn on the mains the generator starts working hard under load.
            1992 4588
            WitchWay

            Seadoo Wake 170

            Comment


              #7
              Right next to the lower helm should be your shore power control panel. There you turn the power on and off for the refrigerator, microwave, water heater, charger, AC plugs, and any other stuff you add to the system.





              Attached files

              Esteban
              Huntington Beach, California
              2018 Element 16
              Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
              Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

              Comment


                #8
                I read the inverter manual and found dip switches on the rear or the remote panel. I have the battery charger and the inverter controlled with the on/off switch. Turn off inverter when running generator and high load devices. Turn on inverter when running the generator and wanting the battery charger.

                I haven't decided how many amps to set the charge rate at. 5 amps/15 amps/20 amps/30 amps.
                1992 4588
                WitchWay

                Seadoo Wake 170

                Comment


                  #9
                  This is such a timely topic for me. On the hook now with a brand new generator (Hyundai HS2000SI 2200 peak 2000w continous). I KNOW, IT'S NOT A HONDA. My inverter charger jumps up to 120 amps DC charge current, which would trip breaker on the generator. The only way to get genny to work was to start the engine charging the house bank until the alternator charge amps dropped below about 75 amps, then the genny could take over from there. I have a Freedom 25 inverter/charger. If I can reset the charger amps down to 75 or so from 120 then I should be golden. If not, then I will have to continue with the work a round. Now, if there was some way to parallel both of the AC outlets on the genny to double the amp output WITHOUT having to get another 70 plus pound "portable" genny then I would be in heaven.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    "redskyjoe" post=813938 wrote:
                    This is such a timely topic for me. On the hook now with a brand new generator (Hyundai HS2000SI 2200 peak 2000w continous). I KNOW, IT'S NOT A HONDA. My inverter charger jumps up to 120 amps DC charge current, which would trip breaker on the generator. The only way to get genny to work was to start the engine charging the house bank until the alternator charge amps dropped below about 75 amps, then the genny could take over from there. I have a Freedom 25 inverter/charger. If I can reset the charger amps down to 75 or so from 120 then I should be golden. If not, then I will have to continue with the work a round. Now, if there was some way to parallel both of the AC outlets on the genny to double the amp output WITHOUT having to get another 70 plus pound "portable" genny then I would be in heaven.
                    Do you have the same remote panel as mine ? I have dip switches on the rear. I turned auto charge dip switch 4 to on ? Lower the power sharing dip switches 7 on, 8 on = 5 amps. 7 off, 8 on = 20 amps.
                    1992 4588
                    WitchWay

                    Seadoo Wake 170

                    Comment


                      #11
                      "joe440" post=813941 wrote:
                      "redskyjoe" post=813938 wrote:
                      This is such a timely topic for me. On the hook now with a brand new generator (Hyundai HS2000SI 2200 peak 2000w continous). I KNOW, IT'S NOT A HONDA. My inverter charger jumps up to 120 amps DC charge current, which would trip breaker on the generator. The only way to get genny to work was to start the engine charging the house bank until the alternator charge amps dropped below about 75 amps, then the genny could take over from there. I have a Freedom 25 inverter/charger. If I can reset the charger amps down to 75 or so from 120 then I should be golden. If not, then I will have to continue with the work a round. Now, if there was some way to parallel both of the AC outlets on the genny to double the amp output WITHOUT having to get another 70 plus pound "portable" genny then I would be in heaven.
                      Do you have the same remote panel as mine ? I have dip switches on the rear. I turned auto charge dip switch 4 to on ? Lower the power sharing dip switches 7 on, 8 on = 5 amps. 7 off, 8 on = 20 amps.
                      I don't know. Will look in to it when we get in. The work a round has us covered for now. Thanks for the tip. Gives me hope.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        The Honda 2000 only has a 12 or 13 amp outlet/output, mine wil output 15 amps, but I don't recommend it. I set my magnum remote for the charger to 10 amps. If I wanted to use additional power for something I would turn the amps down to 5, and all is fine.
                        Yellowknife, NT. Canada
                        2002 cierra 3055
                        twin 350 mags mpi FWC w/B2

                        Comment


                          #13
                          On my 242 all the AC loads are tied to the breaker panel in the cabin including battery charger. My inverted is a separate unit since it feeds from 12VDC circuit and outputs 110VAC when not using shore power (generator in your case). I had to install separate sub panel with a 3 way selector switch to back feed the AC panel from inverter. 1st position is AC Off, second shore-power only, 3rd inverter only. You cannot have both the shore power (generator) feeding 110VAC and the inverter at the same time you will to fry something or worse. Think about it, if you have shore power or generator why would you need inverter generating AC current?

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X