Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra battery for fishing sounder-gctid813762

hi

I have a 2007 Bayliner 175 and I┬┤ve bought a new Lowrance Hook 4 to replace my old Navman 4430.

My major concern now is that my current battery (12v 80Ah 730A) will not be enough for Lowrance.

For those who don┬┤t know the 175 is very small model and I don┬┤t think a second battery will fit.

My idea is to add a small battery (12v 9Ah) for Lowrance only but I really don┬┤t know how to mount 2 independent batteries or if it is possible to have them connected.

Any suggestion?

Thank you in advanced.

Cabral

I bought an emergency lithium jump starter battery in case I accidentally drained both the house and starter batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB20-Ult...dp/B015TKUPIC/

https://no.co/

I got the GB70 for starting my 350 MAG MPI (5.7 liter). You have a smaller boat so you can probably get one of the smaller models. NOCO plays all sorts of marketing gimmicks with the actual power figures, but the number of jump starts they specify is accurate. I've played around with it and it's pretty well designed, with idiot-proof safeties to prevent you from hooking it up to the starter battery incorrectly, or shorting it (though it has an override switch which lets you bypass the safeties if you really want). Lots of reviews of them on YouTube, nearly all very positive.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=noco+review

The unit is actually capable of being used as a 12V power source (has both 5V USB and 12V cigarette ports which can be used for charging or discharging). I'm not sure you'd want to run your fishfinder off it since lithium-ion suffers more degradation from deep cycling than lead-acid. But it's certainly an option. The specs say the GB40 is 24 Wh (about 2 Ah), so it probably doesn't have enough capacity to continuously run the fishfinder. My suggestion would be to run your fishfinder off the boat battery, and keep one of these on board (charged). If by chance the fishfinder ever does accidentally completely drain your battery, you can use this to get the engine started.

Edit: The GB70 took over a day to charge via USB when I first got it. So obviously 12V is preferable for charging, but USB was a lot easier. I just plugged it into the USB on my router and left it there for a couple days.
    1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

Jump Boxes take up space.

A second battery bank also takes up space.

Given a choice between the two...... I'll choose a second battery bank any day of the week.

Suggestion:

Buy a Marine MBSS (main battery selector switch..... OFF/#1/ALL-BOTH/#2 style) and install it in an easy to access location.

Connect your existing Starting Battery cable to the "common" terminal (you may need to extend it).

Connect your existing Starting Battery + side to the #1 terminal.

Connect your NEW Deep Cycle battery + side to the #2 terminal.

Now you will be able to select each bank according to the 12 vdc demand.

Start Engine on #1.

#1 start bank will charge up during engine warm-up.

Use radio, FF, DS, etc on #2 Deep Cycle batt bank.

#2 deep cycle bank will charge during engine operation while that bank is selected.

Keep #1 bank in "Reserve"!

No Jump Box..... just a nice simple and proper system.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

"2850Bounty" post=813845 wrote:
        [color]blue wrote:
        Jump Boxes take up space.

A second battery bank also takes up space.

Given a choice between the two...... I'll choose a second battery bank any day of the week.

Suggestion:

Buy a Marine MBSS (main battery selector switch..... OFF/#1/ALL-BOTH/#2 style) and install it in an easy to access location.

Connect your existing Starting Battery cable to the "common" terminal (you may need to extend it).

Connect your existing Starting Battery + side to the #1 terminal.

Connect your NEW Deep Cycle battery + side to the #2 terminal.

Now you will be able to select each bank according to the 12 vdc demand.

Start Engine on #1.

#1 start bank will charge up during engine warm-up.

Use radio, FF, DS, etc on #2 Deep Cycle batt bank.

#2 deep cycle bank will charge during engine operation while that bank is selected.

Keep #1 bank in "Reserve"!

No Jump Box..... just a nice simple and proper system.[/color]
        I agree, I'd think you'd be able to get a second battery in the boat. I did this to my 1800 to ensure I could always start the boat in the event I ran down the current selected battery, and I did many times :silly:
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556
        Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion 2850Bounty, but I don┬┤t have space for a second battery

Comment

Thank you Solandri, with this size, this is probably a good solution

Comment

Working...
            X