Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help air conditioner tripping..how to clean coils?-gctid398267

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Help air conditioner tripping..how to clean coils?-gctid398267

    My a/c unit started tripping out after 20 or so minutes of operation.

    It seems to be tripping on the compressor high temp/pressure switch.

    Cooling water flow is good and the temperature of the cooling water at discharge is not hot so I suspect either the T/P switch is failing, or more likely, the heat exchanger....refrigant to water needs cleaning. Is there a chemical wash I can use to do this?

    Suggestions?

    #2
    ZEP makes an air conditioner coil cleaner that I've used with a lot of success. Definitely use a cleaner intended for air conditioner coils -- as plain soap and water will only skim the surface. Just a note... It smells nasty and the entire process is messy. Depending on where your coil is located and how it is positioned, you might need to use drop cloth to protect electrical components. You also want to have a wet/dry shop vac at your disposal to help deal with the mess. I use a pesticide sprayer (found at the garden section at Home Depot) to rinse the coil after using the cleaner and immediately vacuum the residue.

    Comment


      #3
      lolar3288 wrote:
      My a/c unit started tripping out after 20 or so minutes of operation.

      It seems to be tripping on the compressor high temp/pressure switch.

      Cooling water flow is good and the temperature of the cooling water at discharge is not hot so I suspect either the T/P switch is failing, or more likely, the heat exchanger....refrigant to water needs cleaning. Is there a chemical wash I can use to do this?

      Suggestions?
      In all likely hood you have some restriction in the air flow to/from the evaporator causing the high pressure switch to trip.

      Doubt very much it is the condensor side if you have good water flow.

      Comment


        #4
        check737 wrote:
        In all likely hood you have some restriction in the air flow to/from the evaporator causing the high pressure switch to trip.

        Doubt very much it is the condensor side if you have good water flow.
        Just to clarify, I need to clean the inside of the water to refrigerant heat exchanger of an growth or scum that may have built up on the inside of the tubes.

        I got a suggestion to hook up the dock hose to the inlet and run full city pressure through the cooling coil. I managed to gerry rig a hook up and did that. The unit is now running and not shutting down but I still think I need to clean the coil. Maybe a vinegar bath for a few hours? I would prefer to use a commercial product if one is available.

        Comment


          #5
          If you have a good heat increase on water outlet side then it is very unlikely that your water heat transfer is lacking.

          But....if you want to clean the tubes well we have had great success with a product called Rydlyme.

          We made a closed loop on the A/C in and out lines to a 5 gallon bucket and used a bilge pump for about a 3 hour flush.

          But again you have stated a good heat increase across the outlets so it is not likely this problem.

          Hope this helps
          Northport NY

          Comment


            #6
            smitty477 wrote:
            If you have a good heat increase on water outlet side then it is very unlikely that your water heat transfer is lacking.

            But....if you want to clean the tubes well we have had great success with a product called Rydlyme.

            We made a closed loop on the A/C in and out lines to a 5 gallon bucket and used a bilge pump for about a 3 hour flush.

            But again you have stated a good heat increase across the outlets so it is not likely this problem.

            Hope this helps
            Thanks for the reply.....I will see if I can source it in Canada.

            Comment


              #7
              Just a suggestion . . . have an HVAC person come and test the charge in your compressor. I had the same problem and did all kinds of stuff to fix it. No matter what I tried, it kept up until the compressor seized completely due to a low charge of R22.

              I'm trying to hunt down a compressor as we speak.

              Comment


                #8
                I cleaned the INSIDE of the heat exchanger ( not to be confused with the EVAPORATOR coils) by disconnecting the sea water pickup hose and sucking in a diluted muriatic acid solution (available at Home Depot), letting it sit for 30 mins, then reconnecting the pump to the seacock. All has worked well since then.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I have had great success flushing the system (using a closed loop setup) with 2 gallons of White vinegar for about about 2 hours. This is acidic enough to clean the coils but not strong enough to harm.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X