Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone advise what props and where to get them for a (39)06 Meridian 490?-gctid812994

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone advise what props and where to get them for a (39)06 Meridian 490?-gctid812994

Just learned I need new props. Due to electrolysis from prior owner not changing zincs my props are ruined.. When I pulled boat I couldn't read any numbers on them. Anyone know which props came on the 06 490 and where to buy them? Thanks in advance!

Not sure of where to buy stateside, but assuming you have Cummins 370's, the factory standard props on the 4788's (330/370) I believe were 24" dia x 24" pitch, which is over pitched/over propped and strains the engines. I repitched mine to 22.5, but I'd probably do 24x22 if I did it again. The 1.5" difference really made a significant reduction on the EGT's.

Have fun with your new toy! Cheers
    John H
    Brisbane QLD Aust
    "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

Yes on 370. 24"x 24" you think is original? What benefit would 24x22 have over 24"?

Comment

"knuckledragger" post=813031 wrote:
        Yes on 370. 24"x 24" you think is original? What benefit would 24x22 have over 24"?
        Per my earlier message, the benefits are you will get a longer life and less stress on your engines if they operate with a lower internal combustion temp. Things melt and edges burn (valves, etc) at consistently higher temps. For the sake of a couple of knots of top speed, I prefer to look after my engines to help eliminate premature failures. The general consensus seems to be that Bayliner overpropped the 4788 with 24 x 24 to tout a higher top speed. However the reduction in prop pitch for me resulted in a 125deg F decrease in exhaust gas temp even though the coolant temps were not overly hot. If you don't have EGT gauges fitted, they are a worthwhile and relatively small investment to look after your craft. Use the Search facility to read thru some posts on this site for other comments on similar topics.

Cheers
        John H
        Brisbane QLD Aust
        "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

I have a 2001 4788 with Cummins 370s The props are 24" diameter and pitched at 22" to achieve a 3000+ rpm at wide open throttle fully loaded with fuel, water and gear. If an engine can not reach the goal of 3000+ rpm at WOT then taking 1/2" off the prop pitch will gain 50 rpm. My starboard engine was running at 1000 degrees Exhaust Gas Temps and I wanted to bring the temps down. I pitched the starboard prop to 21 1/2" and the EGT lowered to 900 degrees which is more acceptable to me.

You do not say where you are located. I am in Anacortes, Washington where you can buy the props from Olympic Prop.

Jerome
          Jerome Robbins
          Commodore, Fidalgo Yacht Club - 2019
          Anacortes, WA

Presently: 1999 Bayliner 2859 Ciera Express, V8-7.4L
          Previously owned:2001 Bayliner 4788 - twin 370 Cummins,
          1994 Bayliner Ciera 2855 V8-7.4L
          1994 Bayliner Classic 2252 V6-5.2L

Comment

After almost three years of learning, upgrading and replacing, our boat is almost ready to do serious cruising. I have a new set of Acme 24x22 NIBRAL props (they are mildly cupped and may still be too aggressive) and a Noland RS-11 analog to digital bridge (to get accurate RPM mainly) waiting for installation in the next week, the last big stuff on the list of todos. This follows installation of EGT and Boost gauges and I will eventually install Flo-Scans. They are expensive but I am convinced that they are necessary. The old ones, now actually 23 3/4 x 23.5 are too much.

The way to keep the 6BTD 5.9M3 happy is to be sure your props are correct and that will depend on how your boat will be loaded. It won't take you long to find plenty of information here.

As soon as we're able we'll do proper WOT testing and I'll repost back.
            Steve & Cary Sober
            Woodstock, VA
            SURPRISE
            2000 Bayliner 4788
            Cummins 370's
            Achilles 350DX with Eurohelm and 20HP Tohatsu
            Kent Island, MD

Comment

I relied on EGT gauges in small planes but never considered them in my boat. Very interesting!

Comment

My opinion is they should be standard equipment. If I did not have them I could have unknowingly pushed my engines to 1100 degrees where metal is cherry red hot inside the engine which is actually 300 degrees hotter than the EGT. Very cheap insurance for monitoring how hot your engines are running that is not told by the coolant temperature gauges. I have the ISSPRO with boost gauges.

I also have Floscan gauges to monitor what my fuel consumption is. I have found with my 370's the best fuel economy while attaining optimal hull speed is running at 1450 rpm which gets 7.5 - 8.5 knts at 1.7 gal per hour per engine the port engine run at EGT 500 and starboard at 550 degrees.. When I bump onto plane at 2400 rpm I burn 10.5 gal per hour per engine at 14.5 -16 knts. My port engine at 2400 is at EGT 700 degrees with 17 psi of boost and the starboard is running at EGT 900.with psi of 13. My mechanic will be checking some things to see about lowering the temp and raising the psi on starboard.
                Jerome Robbins
                Commodore, Fidalgo Yacht Club - 2019
                Anacortes, WA

Presently: 1999 Bayliner 2859 Ciera Express, V8-7.4L
                Previously owned:2001 Bayliner 4788 - twin 370 Cummins,
                1994 Bayliner Ciera 2855 V8-7.4L
                1994 Bayliner Classic 2252 V6-5.2L

Comment

Working...
                X