Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery switch on to charge Cierra 2455?-gctid812883

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Battery switch on to charge Cierra 2455?-gctid812883

    I've just bought a new/used 2000 Bayliner 2455 Cierra. Does the battery switch need to be turned on to charge the batteries while I am plugged into shore power? My 1991 Bayliner 3055 did not. But this boat seemed to have run down batteries after a few days of sitting at the dock with shore power on.
    Franco

    #2
    Check that your on board charger is actually putting out charge current, if so then check to see how it's been wired into the system. My on board charger delivers its charge current to both battery banks via the connections at the MBSS. This way it doesn't matter where the MBSS is set, the batteries (both banks) will always recieve charge current when plugged into shore power. Also check for fuse protection from the on board chargers leads, there may be a blown fuse etc.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

    Comment


      #3
      "builderdude" post=812884 wrote:
      Check that your on board charger is actually putting out charge current, if so then check to see how it's been wired into the system. My on board charger delivers its charge current to both battery banks via the connections at the MBSS. This way it doesn't matter where the MBSS is set, the batteries (both banks) will always recieve charge current when plugged into shore power. Also check for fuse protection from the on board chargers leads, there may be a blown fuse etc.
      +1 on that.

      On my 2001 2455, my batteries will charge while the MBSS is in the off position. I ended up replacing batteries this last winter as I didn't realize my charger wasn't working. I have a Pro-Mariner Flyback 15-3 which is a bit old. I believe it was the original charger that came in my boat. There's a fuse on the inside that can go, so you may have to check that. The PO also had a couple fuses on the wires from the charger to the batteries for some reason. In my case, one of those went and slowly killed my batteries without me knowing. Get your voltmetre out and see if you are getting a charge at the battery from the charger (or if you have a metre on your charger, see if that is showing a charge). Also, good time to check the voltage of your batteries to see if they are at their end of life. I certainly would replace batteruies until I knew my charger was working first, though.
      2001 Bayliner Ciera 2455 5.7 Merc MPI, Bravo 3
      2009 Subaru WRX STI
      2017 stick with a nail on the end of it


      Victoria, BC

      Comment


        #4
        I had a 2001 2455 and the 12v wires from the battery charger were direct to each battery. As long as I was plugged in and the main panel and the battery charger circuit breaker were on, my batteries would charge. It didn't matter what position the MBSS switch was in.
        1988 3218
        Triple “O"
        Hino diesels

        Seadoo Wake 170

        Comment


          #5
          My 2001 2858 batteries are connected to the battery charger directly, I think that's the way they come from the plant. It makes sense to go to the closest most accessible point whether its the switch or the batteries, shorter the length of wire the better. :whistle:
          Brett & Elise, Sammy + Wilson
          New Addition - 2002 Trophy 2002WA FF Optimax 135
          GO HAWKS!

          Comment


            #6
            Thanks everyone for the replies. I didn't think there was a problem with the battery chargers but perhaps there is. There is a voltmeter mounter right next to the battery switch and it only shows voltage when the battery switch is turned on. I'm not sure whether its showing me battery voltage or charger voltage so I have some research to do. I'll get back and post some pics and the voltages with battery switch on and off.

            Frank
            Franco

            Comment


              #7
              "Francorosso" post=813438 wrote:
              Thanks everyone for the replies. I didn't think there was a problem with the battery chargers but perhaps there is. There is a voltmeter mounter right next to the battery switch and it only shows voltage when the battery switch is turned on. I'm not sure whether its showing me battery voltage or charger voltage so I have some research to do. I'll get back and post some pics and the voltages with battery switch on and off.

              Frank
              If she's not connected to shore power then the gauge will show battery voltage. If you are connected to shore power and your charger is working you should see about 13.2 volts at the gauge.
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556
              Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

              The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
              Misc. projects thread
              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

              Comment


                #8
                "builderdude" post=813458 wrote:
                "Francorosso" post=813438 wrote:
                Thanks everyone for the replies. I didn't think there was a problem with the battery chargers but perhaps there is. There is a voltmeter mounter right next to the battery switch and it only shows voltage when the battery switch is turned on. I'm not sure whether its showing me battery voltage or charger voltage so I have some research to do. I'll get back and post some pics and the voltages with battery switch on and off.

                Frank
                If she's not connected to shore power then the gauge will show battery voltage. If you are connected to shore power and your charger is working you should see about 13.2 volts at the gauge.
                To state the obvious, more correctly, you will ALWAYS see the BATTERY voltage. However, the battery voltage may be due to its own, stored charge, or it may be that the battery charger is pumping some charge into the battery and raising its voltage. Battery, on its own, should read about 12.6v and under charge via the battery charger may be higher at 13.8v, depending upon the charger. Furthermore, if the battery receives a charge from the alternator (while the engine is running) its voltage may be even higher, depending upon how much charging is possible via the alternator.
                Retired, computer expert / executive
                Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
                Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
                D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
                [email protected]
                [email protected]

                Comment


                  #9
                  "Francorosso" post=812883 wrote:
                  I've just bought a new/used 2000 Bayliner 2455 Cierra. Does the battery switch need to be turned on to charge the batteries while I am plugged into shore power? My 1991 Bayliner 3055 did not. But this boat seemed to have run down batteries after a few days of sitting at the dock with shore power on.
                  [color]blue wrote:
                  Frank, in answer to your question...... if the battery charger is wired correctly...., NO!

                  The battery charger should provide a "charge" with the MBSS set to any position.

                  However, I would NOT select ALL/BOTH during charging! [/color]

                  .

                  I had a 2001 2455 and the 12v wires from the battery charger were direct to each battery. As long as I was plugged in and the main panel and the battery charger circuit breaker were on, my batteries would charge. It didn't matter what position the MBSS switch was in.
                  [color]blue wrote:
                  In my opinion, this is not advisable!

                  Battery Charger "charge leads" can easily make their connections to the rear of the MBSS terminals #1 and #2, avoiding direct battery connections! [/color]

                  .

                  My 2001 2858 batteries are connected to the battery charger directly, I think that's the way they come from the plant. It makes sense to go to the closest most accessible point whether its the switch or the batteries, shorter the length of wire the better.
                  [color]blue wrote:
                  Again....... Battery Charger "charge leads" can easily make their connections to the rear of the MBSS terminals #1 and #2, avoiding direct battery connections![/color]

                  .

                  ............ There is a voltmeter mounter right next to the battery switch and it only shows voltage when the battery switch is turned on. I'm not sure whether its showing me battery voltage or charger voltage so I have some research to do. I'll get back and post some pics and the voltages with battery switch on and off.
                  [color]blue wrote:
                  If the voltmeter shows battery voltage ONLY when the MBSS has made a "selection", then the voltmeter is receiving it's current from the "Common" terminal side of the MBSS.

                  You may want to re-configure it!

                  Keep in mind that if you desire true battery status data, you will want to install a battery monitoring system that tracks AMP Hours! [/color]
                  Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                  Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                  Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

                  Comment


                    #10
                    So I'm suspicious that the previous owner wired the chargers to only be on when the battery switch is on. He replaced the MBSS. I'll take a look and report back
                    Franco

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I was thrown off about how this works on my 2556 because the first time I tried to charge it, when I plugged in shore power and flipped the breaker to the charger, the charger lit up indicating it was getting electricity. But when the MBSS was set to Off the charger showed it was not charging the batteries. When I moved the MBSS to 1, 2, or Both, the charger showed it was charging the battery(ies). This led me to the erroneous conclusion that the MBSS had to be set to 1, 2, or Both to charge the batteries.

                      By a fortuitous accident (I was an idiot and left the MBSS on Both overnight, with the refrigerator running), the batteries were only partially charged the next day. When I plugged in shore power again, this time the charger showed it was charging when the MBSS was set to Off.

                      I think what happened the first night was that the batteries were full (the mechanic probably charged them while working on the engine) so the charger wasn't charging them. But when I set the MBSS to Both, it activated some always-on systems like the refrigerator. The current draw depressed the battery voltage slightly, which the charger then interpreted as the battery needing to be charged, and it began charging.
                      1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

                      Comment


                        #12
                        OK, I checked and the battery charger is connected with the MBSS on OR off, it's just that battery 1 is old and won't hold a charge. The second battery works like a champ. I'm removing the #1 battery and buying a new one. Any suggestions on what to get, brand and size? It's a Mercruiser 5.0LX, stays connected to shore power during the summer and lightly used boat.
                        Franco

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X