No announcement yet.

Ran Alpha 1 Gen 2 without the shift interrrupter switch connected??-gctid398110

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ran Alpha 1 Gen 2 without the shift interrrupter switch connected??-gctid398110

I was experiencing issues shifting forward/neutra/reverse and found a lead missing from the switch?? Ran a new lead, I now had forward but no reverse. Shortly after that I had to bring the throttle to almost 1/2 before forward would slam in to gear. And then finally no forward at all. Pulled her on to the trailer with ropes and now she sits in the driveway. Anybody have a clue as to what I might be looking at damage wise? Thanks.

There is really no way to tell. But, you can isolate outdrive problems from shifter mechanism problems.

Locate the shift plate on your boat. There will be one cable coming from the control handle, and the other going to the outdrive (goes down and out the tranbsom plate behind the engine.

Remove the cable (split pin and slide out barell, remove lock nut). Get a partner to spin the prop one way nad try moving the cable to see if it locks in. I think the cable has to go in for forward (towards the barell), which is what you're testing. If it locks in, great. Spin the prop the other way and pull the cable out...it should lock in.

If not, you're looking at drive issues. Probably just a new lower, that's where the clutches are....try SEI for a new lower/drive.

Chay

Comment

NOTE: the SI (shift interrupt) is to assist in a gear change from gear back into neutral.

The SI is not necessary for gear engagement.

You may have two issues here.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I had a similiar problem a couple weeks ago. The SI switch only worked about 2 out of ten times when we tested. So we swapped out the switch, that fixed that problem. However when checking the shift cable, it was fine and adjusted ok. The shift cable to the control- had about 5/8" of play in end, this also contributed to the problem.In the end we replaced switch,replaced control cable,readjusted shift linkage and all work properly.

Comment

Has your shift cable been adjusted fairly recently? If not, you may be looking at a shift cable adjustment and you may need to replace lower shift cable.

Comment

The lower shift cable doesn't sound right for this as described. If the adjustment was off, you'd have positive engagement in forward or reverse, and poor engagement in the other. He has poor engagement in BOTH.

As Rick said, the SI is to get out of gear, but if it's missing from the system, the stress put on the dog clutches to separate without the interrupt can cause more issues inside the drive, then causing lack of engagement.

It could definitely be a control shifter issue.

Let us know what you find when you separate the two cables at the plate.

Chay

Comment

Sorry for the delayed update......had to go on a cruise first! Anyway, we were able to engage forward and reverse by hand so we pulled the drive. Fluid color was good, didn't smell burnt and there was minimal at best collection of debris at the drain plug. I began the shift cable removal tonight and see that the lower remote resverior hose is cracking and I had better replace this while I'm in here. It would appear I'm pulling the bell housing? If so, might as well do all bellows.....

Comment

Working...
              X