outboard motor trade-gctid812157

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

outboard motor trade-gctid812157

I have an 88' Capri Cuddy 1950 with 5.7 Cobra. It's in good operating condition. My question is about my kicker motor. I bought the boat with an Evenrude 7.5 kicker that runs and operates well. It just doesn't push the boat very well, too small of a kicker for that size boat. My next door neighbor has a Johnson 25 horse that needs either to have the top end rebuilt or replaced. He says it works well except that the top end seized because the water pump failed. He is looking for a new motor and I was telling him about my Evenrude. He doesn't have the money for a new motor but he said he will trade me straight across, the 25 Johnson that needs work for my running 7.5 Evenrude that is ready to go. I can do the work in my shop to repair the Johnson no problem. Does that sound like a fair deal to you guys who know? I really want a bigger kicker motor and the Johnson would be that motor once I make it run again.
    1988 Capri Cuddy 1950 OMC 5.7

My first question is, what are you planning to use the boat for with that much kicker?

I have a 15hp on my 24'er, and it is more than I really need. I troll at 3mph just past the top the warm-up idle.

As to the exchange, is it worth it to you?
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

Comment

It would be for trolling or to get me back to the dock if the main quits for some reason. I wasn't looking for such a big kicker, the deal just presented itself.
      1988 Capri Cuddy 1950 OMC 5.7

Comment

"Skutt" post=812165 wrote:
        It would be for trolling or to get me back to the dock if the main quits for some reason.
        My initial thought is that you might not be able to troll slow enough for winter blackmouth or Sockeye, and that's usually at 1kt.
        "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
        MMSI: 367637220
        HAM: KE7TTR
        TDI tech diver
        BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
        Kevin

Comment

I'm sure your neighbor would be happy to trade his non running 25hp motor which is most likely toast, for a running 7.5. For years I had a 5hp 4str Merc on the back of my 2000 1802 Capri Cuddy. It pushed the boat quite well, even with 3 people in it. Your 7.5 should push yours quite well...is the prop and cavitation plate under the hull? Maybe you need to go down a pitch or 2 on your motor...If you have a say a 9P, go down to a 7P.

Attached files

Comment

Working...
          X