96 Ciera 2855 - How to run interior plug off battery?-gctid812121

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

96 Ciera 2855 - How to run interior plug off battery?-gctid812121

So on my Cierra, I know to run my drop in A.C. I must use shore power or use my generator. But I'm wanting to know best way to maybe set up a 3rd or 4th battery just for when We're in a cove and would like to run interior fans to circulate air? I don't intend on running my A.C., or microwave......just maybe charge my phone or run fans. Is there an easy path to do this without taking fuse panel out or adding multiple switches?

"samm835" post=812121 wrote:
    So on my Cierra, I know to run my drop in A.C. I must use shore power or use my generator. But I'm wanting to know best way to maybe set up a 3rd or 4th battery just for when We're in a cove and would like to run interior fans to circulate air? I don't intend on running my A.C., or microwave......just maybe charge my phone or run fans. Is there an easy path to do this without taking fuse panel out or adding multiple switches?
    Not sure I understand what you are asking. You should have a start battery and a house battery now, correct? Since you can get 12V adapters for all cell phones, and they make http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp...r /> 12V fans, not sure what you need another battery for. Those small fans take a minimal amount of power, and a cellphone is negligible.
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

Comment

Yes, I suppose it's called a house batter. But how would I determine what things to run? My boat only has one plug outlet.

Comment

If you have room you could add an exact copy (cycle CCA's, Miliamp hour rating) of your House Battery, wire it in parallel and increase your discharge capabilities. There are a lot of choices for inverters that will give you more options for powering microwave, coffee maker, fans, etc. I did that on mine and an using the BlueSea Add-a-Battery kit with combiner and ACR. You can still use a MBSS though. I have a 3 bank charger that I can power up with the generator as well as two solar battery tender panels, one for each bank, Start and House. Not sure the output of my alternator so I figured the redundancy in recharge capability won't hurt a thing. You have lots of options. Just remember that you may need to upgrade your wiring or add additional runs with protection depending on how much power you need.
        Dave
        Restoring/ upgrading: 1990 Ciera Sunbridge 2655 ST, "One Particular Harbour"
        5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1 (my floating retirement villa if it doesn't kill me first)
        Sold:
        1995 SeaPro 210 C/C "Hydro-Therapy"
        Mariner 150
        Towing with:
        2002 Ford F 350 7.3L Super Duty
        Near High Rock Lake, N.C.

Comment

+1

On my previous boat and my travel trailer I added DC outlets in convenient locations. I use them for running 12 VDC fans, TV, charging phones, etc. You can also add dedicated USB charging outlets. Here are some examples:

http://www.marinco.com/en/products/c...ns/12v-sealink

http://www.marinco.com/en/products/c...ns/usbchargers
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

I have a couple of these I like them. Both 12v rechargeable and ac

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
            twin 454's
            MV Mar-Y-Sol
            1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
            Twin chevy 350's inboard
            Ben- Jamin
            spokane Washington

Comment

Those are great fans. We have a folding 10" fan from O2 Cool on the boat. It is AC and battery powered. We also have three 5" battery powered fans.

http://www.o2-cool.com/View-All-Fans
              1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
              2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
              Anacortes, WA

Comment

Working...
              X