Starter Needed-gctid811996

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Needed-gctid811996

I need a starter For my 1981 2555 that has a 5.7 volvo setup. Can anyone help me with a part source and a part number? Tried to get one at Fisheries but all they had was the 30 pound large original type, not the ring reduction starter. Straight bolt pattern.

Thank you.
    Ted G
    The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
    Designers Edition
    Mercury 350 Mag
    290 Volvo DP

DBelectrical.com

They are on Amazon, eBay or straight to their website.
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Unless its corroded to death why not just get it rebuilt st a starter shop? Much cheaper . Starters are one of those things that really never wear out.

Comment

I'm with chief, DB will have the PMGR starter for probably 50 bucks. That's where I purchased mine, much smaller in size and weight but better performance.

Stagnated bolt pattern

Strait across bolt pattern
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556
        Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

"builderdude" post=812038 wrote:
          I'm with chief, DB will have the PMGR starter for probably 50 bucks. That's where I purchased mine, much smaller in size and weight but better performance.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...d bolt pattern

https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...s bolt pattern
          A starter for $50:S wow. It costs me 50 + to get one rebuilt. If you can hook up a deal like that dive on it!

Comment

"nwboater62" post=811996 wrote:
            I need a starter For my 1981 2555 that has a 5.7 volvo setup. Can anyone help me with a part source and a part number? Tried to get one at Fisheries but all they had was the 30 pound large original type, not the ring reduction starter. Straight bolt pattern.

Thank you.
            [color]blue wrote:
            The 30 lb large original style is a direct drive starter motor. These are AMP hungry, low out-put and are out-dated.

What you want is one of today's HTGR/PMGR starter motors with the straight bolt pattern for the 153 tooth flywheel ring gear! (not the staggered bolt pattern for the 168 tooth ring gear!)

[color]red wrote:
            Be sure to receive the new specific length bolts with the starter motor!!!!!! [/color]

Your new HTGR/PMGR motor will look similar to this one!

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...S_iOBB9DGw.jpg

The armature in these will spin approx 3 Xs faster than the old style.

With the GR (gear reduction), these will crank the engine over faster........, all while using fewer AMPS!

The trick is finding a source for these whereby all steel reduction gears are being used in lieu of the nylon reduction gears.

So..... be sure to ask when making your purchase! [/color]

DBelectrical.com
            [color]blue wrote:
            Good company, but they cannot provide a HTGR/PMGR starter motor with anything but the nylon gears! I have asked this company twice! [/color]

Unless its corroded to death why not just get it rebuilt at a starter shop? Much cheaper . Starters are one of those things that really never wear out.
            [color]blue wrote:
            I would never suggest rebuilding an old school, non-gear reduction starter motor!

And I must respectfully disagree in that any starter motor can and will eventually wear out!

That said....... a well rebuilt starter motor is generally OK! [/color]
            Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Generally agree with Rick on the new type starter ... However, I have personally installed dozens, of new style starters, and more then a few alternators from DB in autos and boats, never had one go from just use.

One or 2 went from being splashed with saltwater, or immersed.

I paint them as well as alternators, also I paint oil filters.
              Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

All steel reduction gears would definitely be the way to go, I personally couldn't find one without having to pay through the a$$ for it. I figured I'd give the nylon gear type a try as its not difficult to swap out a starter on my 2556. Haven't had it that long but so far I've Been pleased with it B)
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX"
                '93 2556
                Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                Misc. projects thread
                https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Ordered a starter from DB. $51. Thank you all for the assistance.
                  Ted G
                  The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
                  Designers Edition
                  Mercury 350 Mag
                  290 Volvo DP

Comment

"nwboater62" post=812590 wrote:
                    Ordered a starter from DB. $51. Thank you all for the assistance.
                    Be sure to use the new bolts that should be supplied with the new HTGR/PMGR motor!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

The order shows new bolts included that I will definitely use.

Thanks Rick!
                      Ted G
                      The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
                      Designers Edition
                      Mercury 350 Mag
                      290 Volvo DP

Comment

Working...
                      X