Stalling issues, 2004 Bayliner 175, Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha One-gctid811973

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalling issues, 2004 Bayliner 175, Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha One-gctid811973

Hi all, I'm new to these forums and am having an issue with my boat and thought what better place to ask questions about it!

Last year, I bought a used 2004 bayliner 175 in great shape. Took it out about 6-7 times and all was well. Then near the end of the season, the boat started stalling. It would start and idle just fine, it would go "no wake speed" just fine (throttle at 1/4). But when it comes time to get moving, it would stall out when giving it more throttle. However, if I pushed it (gave it a lot of throttle) it would work through the "bad spot". But you can see how this is annoying as I have to go either "no wake speed" or 30+ mph.. I should also mention this only happens in the water (or under load). On the driveway hooked up to muffs, it is just fine..

I'm new to this and not sure where to look first. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and would like to solve this on my own.

Notes: took off flame arrestor and hit throttle (with engine off) and see two gas streams shooting into carb, so it seems carb is getting gas.

What could cause an issue like this, especially knowing it runs great if you push past that bad spot in the throttle?

Oh yea, should also mention it stalls when decelerating as well. It is basically impossible to go from high rpm to Idle without stalling..

Thanks in advance guys!!!

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem.

Clogged fuel filter, Clogged vent maybe...try running her with the cap open.

Or hook it up to a clean portable gas can
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

Ruffryder, thanks for your feedback. This weekend I'm going to give here a full tune up and replace the fuel filter. I'll update on how she runs after the weekend.

Comment

My 2006 had similar symptoms. The distributor cap and rotor were really corroded. Replaced them and it was a whole new boat. Also did the wires and plugs at that time. Cheap insurance. Good luck.
        2006 185BR with a 3.0L, Sport Seating
        96 Seadoo GSX
        96 Seadoo GTX (2 of the them!) Find me at Seadooforum.com

Comment

Does it have a water/fuel separator in fuel line? If not I would install one. It sounds to me as if you have water in the fuel. It happened to me a few years ago. Your symptoms sound similar.
          QuickChek over Wawa
          Taylor Ham not Pork Roll

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
          Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP MPI Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
          Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
          Evinrude 88 Special

Restoring 1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
          1992 Johnson 40HP

40°55'22.9"N 74°39'11.9"W

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys!

Soccerdad - I'm giving her a whole new tune up today (wires, plugs, cap, rotor). I really hope that's the issue! That would be a great easy fix!!

Waterdowg - No water/fuel separator, just the fuel filter in the fuel pump that sits in a bowl that I guess is supposed to act like a water/fuel separator. I'm changing that filter today along with the tune-up. Is installing one of these fairly easy? I know I'd just have to mount the bracket somewhere and cut the line (which makes me nervous). Wonder how much a pro would charge?

One last thing I was going to do is add some seafoam to the gas tank. Any bad experience with this?

After the tune-up and fuel filter change, i'll let everyone know how she runs, plan to take her out both Saturday and Sunday.

Comment

OK, working on taking off the fuel filter that is attached to the fuel pump. A bolt holds on a V shaped clip which holds a bowl to the pump. The filter is in this bowl.

There is a wire going around the bolt that seems like it needs to be removed. Can I remove this wire? If I do, should I put it back once I get it back together? Not sure how important this wire is, so don't want to remove it if it'll break something.

Thanks!

Comment

FIXED!!!

Well, kind of, I think???

Did full tune up and replaced fuel filter. The old fuel filter was in extremely bad shape, it was even crushed. I also opened up the gas line going to carb and that little screen was pretty junked up, just sprayed it with carb cleaner and put it back in..

Today on the water, boat started great, left the dock great, then accelerating it stalled!!! I started it back up and punched the throttle hard to 3000+ rpm and ran fine. Again when I decelerated, it stalled as well. I narrowed it down to it stalls whenever it hits 2000 rpm, accelerating OR decelerating.

I remember what this post and the suggestion to open the gas cap. Did that and it ran great!! No stalls! Closed the gas cap and it continued to run great!!

Not sure if opening the gas cap did something, or if it was just a random coincidence (maybe the engine was warm now and ran good).. who knows, but it's running great now!

Does it make sense that opening the gas cap makes it run good, even though it still ran good when I closed it?

Thanks guys!!!!

Comment

Glad you followed those recommendations,

Happy boating!

Yes, ensure your fuel vent is clear,

Clean or replace anti siphon/ tank pick up screen.
                  Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                  Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                  93 3058 sold
                  92 2855 (day boat)
                  91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                  Longbranch WA
                  Life is Good

Comment

If you had bad fuel, I am assuming that you had a possible water issue in the tank. As I don't think it would allow it to idle fine (but run well at high RPMs), have you made sure there is no water in the float bowl of the carb?

Comment

Working...
                    X